Chapter 2: Love at first sight?

“Leave the remote Jodene I want to watch Adventure Time.” Darren yelled from across the room purposely loud enough for me to hear. “No, it’s Dora time... Mommy!!! Darren wont-” “Darren you're older, let your sister watch Dora and go watch Adventure Time in your room.” I instructed. “Mommy but you said I can't watch tv in my room” he replied. “I'll make an exception only for today” I replied patting him on the head as he ran to his room. It’s scary to see them so different, their personalities and characters are gradually growing. Although Darren is a boy, they always played together with everything and anything in the house, inseparable but now they can’t stand being in the same room together.
It’s a beautiful Saturday morning and I'm planning on taking the kids out to the mall to buy extra clothes because winter is coming and if they behave, I can allow them to pick out as many items as they please.
I went in and Catherine was dressing her “My baby, when you went to the park yesterday why did you leave Dora The Explorer?” I asked when I saw the stuffed toy neatly placed on her bed. “Dora didn’t want to come” she replied with surety. I smiled and looked at Catherine who was teeing her hair.  I proceeded to my room to get ready. I put on my washed-out blue tank top, white skinny jeans, MAD neck chains and slipped on my white Palladium Boots.
I know what you’re thinking and you’re correct, I am definitely a stud lesbian who strictly wears boy shorts, chino pants, sneakers and baggy shirts with my hair tied up in a low bun.
Darren had on a similar outfit as me but with a blue vest instead. I had the radio on and Pharrell Williams’ song ‘Happy’ was playing. Jody jumped straight into it “It might seem crazy what I'm about to say” she could barely articulate the words but her effort and passion is all that was needed to get me and Darren singing along.
“Sunshine she's here, you can take a break” I carried on
We sang along till I pulled off in the parking lot of South Cliff Mall’ which was no more than a 5-minute drive.
They got out of their seatbelts and we all walked hand in hand into the mall. Jody wanted to go into a shop named Play Like Us so we went in and she took a mini sized baby trolley thingy and stared throwing in toys, books, blankets and shoes. Darren and I sat on the chairs and laughed as she walked around confused at what and what not to pick.
“Mommy I'm done” she said barely able to push the trolley, she tilted her head to look at me with a smile bigger than Dora’s.
“Alright my baby” I said and she led me to the counter she already familiarised herself with. We went to Darren's favourite shop ToysRUs opposite Play Like Us. The interior can drive any kid insane, the walls are covered with a Marvel-themed superhero comic, with a fan board where they can write anything and pin it to any superhero, they want which they remove at the end of the day. The shelves are carved in the shapes of the superhero or cartoon figure in supersize.  Darren was interested in the toys more than the fan mail and he went insane filling the trolley with his goodies. “Mommy Thank you” Darren and Jody said in unison. “Aahaah My babies” I said.
I went to the Nike store and I was greeted by the manager at the door, he led me to his office and my boxes of shoes and clothes were readily available to be loaded in my truck. I have been so busy that I haven’t been able to do this shopping thing and I’m not sure if Catherine understands my style and will cater for me so I shopped online. “Mommy my stomach is growling,” Jody said as Me and Darren laughed, she never says she is hungry, it’s always ‘the growling stomach’ “Let’s go eat!” I said walking behind them.
We went down to the food court at the mall and sat down at MacDonald's since it’s the kid’s favourite but while our order was being processed, we walked to Khara Nichas, a Chinese vegetarian restaurant to order my food.
“I want to play on there!” Jody asked when we got back to McDonalds.
“After you finish up your food” I said sitting down with two Happy Meals and two McFlurry’s. After they took off their shoes, I sat down on my phone keeping a close eye on both of them.
I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I turned around and saw an extremely gorgeous woman gracing us with her presence. She was regal and fair skinned with long straightened hair. When her head turned to my direction cupid struck me; her hazel eyes and my blue eyes consumed each other. My heart smiled and so did my lips. Her aura commanded attention and she received it.
“Tyrone! Stand still and tell me what you'd like.” She said looking down at the boy who was holding her hand.
She proceeded with her order and my eyes were fixated on hers. I stared at her until our eyes met again. She started approaching me and I pretended to be busy on my phone. Making eye contact, she smiled.
“Hi, I. I’m Jay short for Jasmine” I stuttered.
“I'm Christina but please call me Tina, this is my son Tyrone”
“You have a very cool name, sup lil man?” I asked giving him my full attention. The boy smiled and looked at the play area
“Mom I want to go play” Tyrone said. “Go on!” Tina said in a very rich and strong accent. Tyrone ran to the play area.
“How old is he?” I asked watching him pace off.
“6 years old” she answered
“they are the worst” I said “absolutely” she added and we both laughed. Again, cupid hit me but with his sharpest arrow this time and I was smitten.
“Which one is yours?” Tina asked scanning the play area
“I don’t have any children” I announced proudly.
“Let’s see, you’re casually sitting alone at McDonalds, there’s two classic Happy Meal toys right next to the ‘Play with us’ bag and I’m pretty sure you’re not here for the WIFI, so which ones are yours?” she concluded. I let out chuckle, “The shirtless kid hanging from the bars like a little monkey and the kid in a pink fairy dress admiring herself in the mirror” I finished off
“I see where she gets that from” She said and we both laughed.
“So, Jay, how’s about we ditch the kids and go catch a drink yeah?” She spontaneously said. “You don’t have to ask me again” I said excitedly and she gave me flirty eyes.
I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her, “People with hazel eyes are rare, proven fact. You’re a rare gem Mrs Tina” I confidently spoke.
“Miss, and Thank you Mrs” she carefully said waiting for my response.
“Miss” I corrected.
“You could have fooled me” she sarcastically said.
“Oh, my food is ready” she got up and went to the counter. Her dress was hugging her body and her waist was the smallest I’ve seen for a woman her age. I assumed she was about 33 years old. I think cupid is making up for all the years he made me suffer because I’m still astonished that she approached me. I probably shouldn’t get ahead of myself, this is totally a friendly visit she isn’t attracted to women.
She walked back to me and sat down again “I should get going, let me go call Tyrone”
“By the looks of it, you’re gonna have a hard time pulling him out of there” I warned. “Give him a few more minutes” I reasoned. “What is a gorgeous woman like you doing roaming this dangerous mall alone, unaccompanied? I hear they snatch rare gems” I finished. 
“I’m well protected, Tyrone is taking karate classes, he knows a few moves already” she confidently said “Who do you think would be fit to protect me? You?” she asked and my heart sank, I didn’t know how to reply, Is this it? Is she asking me out?
“I am so tired!” I heard her say leaning on me.
“From what exactly” I said loud enough for only Tina to hear.
I gave her the ‘greet this lady look’ she jumped up “hi my name is Jody and you are?" Jody said and I chuckled.
“Hey, cutie I'm Christina, but you can call me Tina”
“Are you my mom’s Girlfriend? You are very pretty.” Jody said smiling while Tina and I tried so hard not to laugh.
“Jody…” I reprimanded
“Yes” Jody replied
“Go check on your brother please” I said clearing my throat 
“That was classic” Tina said still laughing.
“I’m so sorry, she is a snazzy one”.
“It’s a good question, am I girlfriend Jay?” she sipped on the orange juice but kept her eyes on me. I felt pressured and uncertain of the answer I was about to give an answer but is she fishing to see if I would ever date her or is she being friendly? If I say yes then I am practically asking her out and what if she isn’t into women? If I say no, then I will be killing my chances of ever being in a relationship with her or her friend.
“You-”
“Mom I found a new friend can he come over and play with my new toys.  Pretty please! please" Darren said cutting me. Once again, my children come through for me, saved by Darren.
“Darren say Hi to Christina she is my...”
“Friend.” Christina said giving me seductive eyes. I felt butterflies in my stomach, what does this even mean. She gave me sexy eyes but said I’m her friend. 
“Hey. Mom can he come over” Darren begged
“Where is he? Where are his parents?” I questioned and he ran back to the play area.
“You’re asking for trouble Jay” she said mockingly
He comes out with Tina's son. Tina looks at me and I look at her and we both look at the boys walking up to us. “look what we have here” I whispered to her and she laughed.
“Mommy can I go home with my new friend?” I hear Tina's son Tyrone plead.
“How is your trouble looking there?” I rhetorically asked.
“Here he is, hey! mom you can ask you friend if Ty can come over since you guys are friends and we are friends…” he finished.
“He is a smart one” she said
I laughed and looked at Tina as she gave her approval.