In Which I Have A New Math Teacher

"You're late." A voice that was definitely not Mr. Brown's was what greeted me as soon as I walked into the classroom. I looked towards the teacher's desk. Rather than the wiry-haired, skinny frame of Mr. Brown, another man was in his seat. This one was a dark-skinned man, with dark brown, almost black eyes. He had short-cropped, silver hair, (like, actual, real, silver, and not metallic grey) and a muscular build, along with an average height. He put on his reading glasses. "And I suppose you have an excuse, along with a late slip from the principal himself."

Looking back down at his work, he pointed to the sea of students. "No need to show it to me, just take your seat."

I was paralysed from shock, and only realised what the substitute(?) had said when he coughed loudly. I rushed to take my seat next to my best friend, Taylor. She had black, tightly-curled hair that reached just below the shoulder blades, same length as mine. Currently, she had it in a single plait down her back. She had an athletic build, like Jade, and dark skin. She also had dark brown eyes, like mine.

Immediately after I sat down, I said to her, "We have a substitute?!"

She had a grim expression on her face as she nodded in reply. I thought it strange, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I was more focused on the fact that we had a teacher other than Mr. Brown, and he had barely spared me a glance, nevermind me being almost 20 minutes late.

"Who is he, anyway? And what happened to Mr. Brown?"

Taylor sighed before explaining. "Mr. Grant," she said this with venom, "as he likes to call himself, has informed us of Mr. Brown's 'untimely accident', and that he should not be resuming a teaching position for a while. In the mean time, Mr. Grant will be teaching us."

I frowned. "Accident?"

"Apparently, Mr. Brown was hit by a car two days ago, and is currently in a coma. And, luckily for us, Mr. Grant here was available to take up the position of being our math teacher." That last part was said with much sarcasm. And I think Mr. Grant must have heard, because he looked up and stared right at us. His eyes seemed to glitter, but before I could examine them further, Taylor elbowed me to grab my attention.

"Rather than staring rudely, I'd suggest that you get on with the assignment. You came in late, and if you don't hurry, you might get it as homework."

So I opened my book and got on with the work.

Later, towards the end of the lesson, Mr. Grant called me to his desk. I got up, and just as I'm about to leave, Taylor grabbed my arm. She looked...worried. Strange.

"What is it?" I asked her hesitantly.

"Be careful," is all she said, then she hurriedly let go of me, and turned back to her book.

I was really confused, and could only mutter an 'um, okay' for a reply.

I made my way past the desks, till I reached Mr. Brown's desk. Or is it Mr. Grant's now? I stood in front of it, fidgeting with my fingers. Mr. Grant had been watching me approach. He looked at me from across the top of his reading glasses.

'Is everything alright?'

I had just opened my mouth to answer, when I realised that his lips hadn't moved. The voice of Mr. Grant, which I most definitely heard, was actually inside my head. When the realisation sunk in, my voice stuck in my throat. I stood there, mouth gaping and completely dumbstruck. Mr. Grant smiled, and repeated the question, vocally this time.

"Are you alright, love? You seem quite pale." He had a vaguely concerned expression on his face.

"I - it's fine. I'm fine," I managed to stammer out.