In Which I Fight My Best Friend

Angie's pov

Author's note: Unless specified otherwise, all chapters are in Angie's perspective.

After Taylor dashed off - with very little explanation, only some vague thing about going to sign up for a club – Luke also went off his own way. I was just thinking of going up to the roof, and when I was passing by an open classroom door, a teacher called me.

It was our Biology teacher, Mrs. Audrey.

"Ah, Angela, would you mind helping me out? I need you to pick up worksheets from the printing room upstairs for our lesson later on."

"Ah, okay, no problem. I'll be quick."

When I had walked to the end of the corridor, I sighed. I didn't mind helping out Mrs. Audrey, but the thing was the school had about 8 floors, with the printing room at the very top, and I was on the 2nd floor. My legs ached at the prospect of the long climb.

---

Eventually, I reached the 5th floor. I stopped at the top of the stairs to catch my breath. I went into the printing room, and said that I was sent by Mrs. Audrey to pick up worksheets for her.

When I was preparing to walk back down the stairs, my hands loaded with papers, a teacher came up them, and I was unsure whether or not I should let her pass first. You see, the papers were so many I sort of took up half the stairway. While I was debating this, the teacher stopped and looked at me, and our eyes met. Her storm-grey eyes burned through me, and I automatically felt uneasy. I recognised her as one of the new teachers whose name was posted on the bulletin board by the 2nd floor lockers, only I couldn't recall her name just then, so I only managed a faint 'hello'.

But she just smiled and introduced herself.

"Well, hello there. I've just arrived at Southbrook Academy, so we haven't met yet, although you may have seen my picture on the bulletin board by the lockers around the school. You can call me Ms. Evelyn."

I merely nodded in agreement, and she went on talking to me. By and by, the further we conversed, I began to notice other things about her appearance. Her golden hair, that seemed to be woven with sun, was the most catching thing about her. Her eyes made me feel uneasy at first, but now they were nothing but soft and gentle. I found myself smiling and laughing along with her, slowly, slowly...

Suddenly, the bell rang, and I was jerked out of my stupor. I mentally cursed when I realised I still held Mrs. Audrey's worksheets in my hands. I said a quick good-bye to Ms. Evelyn, and dashed off to the Biology lab.

***

I just barely had time to give Mrs. [name] the worksheets, before running off to my next class. We had English next, and I walked into class to look for a seat, preferably one I could have next to Taylor.

While I was still deciding on where to sit, I heard a clear, gentle voice call out for everyone to take a seat. The voice was familiar, and I turned my head to see that, yes, we did have Ms. Evelyn to teach us English.

I felt so inexplicably happy, that I just couldn't help smiling. Taylor, coming through the door, saw this and began to ask me what was the matter, when she suddenly just stopped, like her words had been forced back. I looked over at her to see if she was alright, and I noticed that she clutched the strap of her bag tightly, and seemed like she was under intense mental pressure.

Then, abruptly, she opened her eyes. When we made eye contact, I vaguely noticed that there was something different...had the atmosphere of the room changed? I couldn't put my finger on it, and frowned.