Ch. 34 | The Appointment

Start from the beginning

"I told him to extend you an invite to the next family dinner, but it seems like he's selfishly planning on keeping you all to himself." Rossi's playful tone was his way of requesting I give Spencer a break, but I wasn't in the mood for forgiveness just yet. After spending months trapped in my bed, I was always looking for an excuse to talk to anyone that wasn't my roommate. And when it came to the team... I mean, they were like his family. It made sense I wanted their approval, right? Or was I really, honestly just seeking the approval of men like Hotch and Rossi because of my "daddy issues?" And oh, god, I didn't want to delve into that psychology.

"How rude," I deadpanned, instead, elbowing Spencer's side just enough to elicit a pained exhale and an explanation.

"I was going to tell her. I was just waiting until we actually knew when it was going to happen."

"He's lying," I told Rossi, earning a very adamant, denial from Spencer in the process that I brushed off. We both did. The pout that immediately followed was harder to ignore, but I could be strong.

Honestly, it was just funny to see him in this environment. When he was alone with me, he was usually the one in charge, but at work, Spencer was hardly that. It was the only chance I had to tease the ever living shit out of him with little chance of immediate consequences.

"Yeah, he's lying," Rossi easily deduced, waving a dismissive hand at Spencer before continuing, "But luckily, you were here. And whenever it happens, I hope that you'll be there, too. It's important for you to have a chance to socialize with us outside of the job."

I smiled, finally looping my arm around Spencer's to hopefully ease the pain caused by being ignored. Rossi, however, didn't seem to be on the same wavelength, considering he gave another quick quip. "Hopefully you'll bring the kid with you," he teased as he turned away, pointing to the notably older and larger man at my side.

"How am I the kid in this scenario?" Spencer muttered under his breath, the pout still on his face, and still just as cute.

"Will do, Rossi," I happily chirped.

"Thank you, stellina." Rossi said with a wink, casually bringing both hands to his lips to blow each of us a kiss.

Once Rossi was fully out of earshot, Spencer sighed in resignation. He had complained before about the fact that the team had immediately felt comfortable with me, contrary to his own experience. But of course, it wasn't fair to compare. I'd come into their lives piggybacking on their close relationship with him. Spencer didn't see it that way, though.

"Why do you get a nickname?" he grumbled, dropping his head to the side to rest atop mine.

I didn't let him rest there long, pushing him back away from me so that I could stand before him again. With my fingers under my chin, I flashed the brightest smile I could while dramatically emphasizing, "Because I'm a little star."

Spencer looked down at me with a gentle adoration, his hand coming up to brush over my cheek. My face followed after him, desperate for any contact he could offer in the sterile environment. It didn't really make much sense how touch starved I was; it wasn't like he hadn't touched me over the past couple months. Or even that he'd touched me any less– if anything, it had been more.

But then again, how could I ever get enough? I was certain Spencer would call me spoiled, and in many ways, I was, but I didn't care. If I could find a way to bottle up the way I felt when he held me, I would. Lord knows there were so many times when I'd needed it and he wasn't there. I wouldn't ever admit that to him, though. What would be the point?

He couldn't always be there. Sometimes he would have to leave.

Unaware of the dramatic monologue in my head, my boyfriend sighed. His lips pursed again while he watched my eyes soften the longer that he held my face. "You certainly are little," he concluded. I knew he wanted to say more but feared doing so might lead the conversation down a path less suited for work. Although, what I had planned wasn't exactly work appropriate, either.