Ch. 25 | The Shots

Summary: Spencer faces a couple of Schrodinger's Boxes.

Content Warning(s): Gun violence, discussions of death and dying

—————————————————

Hotch had spent the past five minutes on the phone with the male unsub in the lobby, and the conversation was going absolutely nowhere. For whatever reason, they just seemed to deflect any opportunity provided to them.

They didn't seem to give a shit about anything beyond pushing the buttons of each person they interacted with. Which, they did quite successfully.

"Didn't realize one pig would bring the whole flock of you here," he laughed, clearly motioning to Spencer on the video, "How bad do you want him back?"

"What do you want?" He responded without hesitation or a surprise. It was such an expected question to ask that he'd barely even thought about his words before they came out.

"Easy. A chopper, and for you to fuck off."

That was the equally stereotypical response, meaning it was entirely unhelpful to them. From what they could deduce, they were equally confused as to why this heist seemed to follow all the rules, but match none of the motivations. It was like it was a show, a game, rather than an actual attempt to maximize profits.

"We can do the helicopter, but we can't give you a pilot."

"That's fine," he responded with a shrug, "Don't need one."

It was the first piece of useful information he'd gotten so far on the call. Because if they didn't need a pilot, it meant one of two things: either one of them possessed the skill themselves, or they weren't ever intending to use the helicopter.

Briefly pulling the phone away, Hotch turned to Morgan. "Tell Garcia to check our list with people with pilot's licenses or any other connection that might provide them the skills to fly a helicopter."

He returned to the call, continuing the usual script for these situations, trying not to act like he'd learned anything new.

"Can you release the women and children?"

"Nah," the guy said with a chuckle, "I'll wait."

Hotch listened to the sound of the receiver for a moment, staring at the entrance to the bank like it would provide him the answers he still needed. He had his suspicions of what might be happening, but with no eyes in the back anymore and the trigger-happy group that had formed around him, he wouldn't have the resources to convince them not to go in guns blazing.

"We're ready to move in." Which is exactly what they had requested.

"I don't think that's a good idea." He stated before finally moving to look at the man next to him, "Something isn't right here."

"Yeah, a lot isn't right here. There's 19 innocent people in there."

It didn't really matter how many times he went through this situation; the results always seemed to be the same. No one listened, even when it wasn't one of their men inside.

"Storming the building isn't going to help them. There are three armed perpetrators inside, and they're each in a different area. It would be impossible for us to take out all three at once. Especially now that we can't see in the back. There could be explosives in there for all we know."

The man was unpersuaded.

"If we can't save them all, minimizing casualties is the name of the game."