Ch. 33 | The Mother

Summary: Reader finds more productive ways to spend her time, including volunteering at the local inpatient hospitals.

Content Warning(s): hospitals, institutionalization, inpatient ward
NOTE:
Jokes about disability will NOT be tolerated here. Please respect that I am disabled and refrain from making jokes about Diana. 

————————————————

After everything I'd been through, I'd sworn that I would never want to be in a hospital ever again. But, unfortunately for me, it seemed my stubbornness extended even to my own limits, which explained why I was currently walking through the doors of the residential inpatient ward. It was a good idea in theory, to volunteer in the last place I wanted to be so that I could grow used to being there again.

It didn't have to be a scary place.

Especially since the people around me weren't the typical hospital patients. In fact, the people there weren't even the usual patients of the hospital. Apparently, the ward was hosting a group of traveling patients that had been deemed fit for a vacation to the nation's capital.

My assignment was simple enough - simply meet with a person and discuss the book they were currently reading. There was no requirement that we had to have read the book before, considering that would leave most people without a partner at all.

I was expecting to meet someone to discuss some niche romance novel or whatever had recently come out in theaters, but as I scanned the list of books, one stuck out to me more than the others.

The Book of Margery Kempe (1501).

It wasn't the book itself that piqued my interest— I'd never read it. I had, however, listened to Spencer explain the entire premise to me on several occasions. Unsurprisingly, no one else volunteered for the book from the fifteenth century that referred to the main character as "this creature." No one until me, that is.

There was no questioning who my partner was when I entered the room, spotting her quickly on the outskirts of the room with the book in her hand, but her eyes fixed on the raindrops slowly dripping down the window.

"Hi, are you Diana?"

She jumped a little at the sound of my voice, and I tried not to be consumed by guilt for surprising her despite my best efforts not to.

"Who are you?"

"I'm (y/n). I'm sorry if I scared you. I was assigned to be your book buddy today." I explained, gesturing to the book on her lap with a smile that wasn't big enough to be fake. From what the nurses had told me about her, I figured it was best to just be as genuine as possible... which made my answer to her next question a little more difficult.

"You've read this book?"

"Actually, I haven't. No one had." I laughed, pulling another chair over to her before taking a seat. "But I have heard someone go through basically the entire story in their own words, so..." I never finished the thought, cut off by a slight scoff from the woman.

"I figured. You're very young."

"Hey! Young people can read the classics." I defended, crossing the lower half of my legs and tucking my hands between my knees. It probably gave away some of my nerves, but I figured it was alright considering she wasn't a profiler and Spencer wasn't here.

"But you don't." She wryly noted.

"Guilty. My boyfriend does, though." I acquiesced, albeit a bit distracted as my mind decided to focus on those memories rather than the current reality.