Chapter 63 (Ending Mature)

Start from the beginning

The room was silent for a while before the mirror spoke again, seeming to be chocked up.

"Jolie... she was pregnant when she died," Vertina said to Sophie. The mirror almost slipped from Sophie's grip in shock and sadness quickly overcame the emotion of shock. Her expression dropped and she fell onto her knees, the mirror nearly breaking as it slid to the floor. Vertina made no comment, just letting Sophie sit in silence for a few moments. 

"If... If it makes you feel better, the baby was dying. Some sort of brain tumor or something it had obtained while it was being made," Vertina told Sophie. The elf was hoping the information would make her feel better, but it didn't.

"Why did Jolie want to hide her stomach?" Sophie asked the mirror. Vertina stared up at the sad girl from flat on the ground and shrugged. 

"The same reason as you, she was self conscious. I did my best to tell her she looked beautiful either way because Brant wouldn't, but she just couldn't shake it," Vertina said. Sophie stared at her reflection in the mirror for a moment before asking another question. 

"How long?" Sophie asked. She sniffled and wiped her nose, tugging out an eyelash quickly as her hand passed her eyes. "How long was she pregnant? How many weeks?" Vertina took a few moments to answer. 

"I think she had found out about two months before."

Sophie nodded, solemnly. The two girls stayed there for a few more moments. 

"I'm sorry," Vertina quickly said, breaking the comfortable silence. "I'm sorry I treated you terribly and I regret all the insults I said. You just-you just, Vertina began, not seeming to know what to say. Sophie never knew an artificial intelligence could express emotion, much less so much of it. "You look so much like her and... I really didn't want her to be replaced, I wasn't ready for her to be gone," the mirror said. Sophie nodded, knowing Edaline and Grady had felt the same when they canceled her adoption.

Soon, Sophie got to her shaking legs, picking up the mirror once again and walked out of the diseased girls room. 

"What are you doing?" Vertina asked her, watching as Sophie struggled to walk up the stairs to get back to her own room. 

"I don't want to cover it up anymore," Sophie informed her. It was all she said as she placed the mirror back on its designated screw. The girl was gone when Sophie walked away. She sat on her bed just as the door opened. 

"OH FOSTER POO! I'M HOME!" Keefe hang sung from the bottom of the stairs as he removed his shoes. Sophie couldn't help but giggle a bit as he raced up the steps, opening the door a crack to peek his head in. She could something else poking through head doorway, something red. When he stepped out, she smiled at the bouquet of roses in his hand. 

"How is my adorably pregnant girlfriend?" He asked in a slight teasing matter. Sophie only smiled, standing up and beginning to walk to him, but Keefe shook his head, quickly making his way to her. He wrapped his arms around his girlfriend with a giant smile on his face. 

"Do mind... my uh... my stomach?" Sophie asked him. He quickly backed out of the hug, staring at her with a cocked eyebrow.

"What about it?" He asked her. His warm hands slipped under her thin shirt, placing them against her stomach as if it were a globe of some sort. She laid her hands on top of his, liking the way it felt. 

"You know, how it looks?" She asked. Keefe raised an eyebrow further, getting onto his knees to get onto her stomach level.

"The stomach you are creating a baby in with your own bodily functions that I have no idea how it works? To me its magic, like you said when you came here. Magic is mystical and beautiful, not something to judge off of its looks," Keefe told her with a comforting smile. He rolled her shirt up and over her belly where it had been stretching. Then, he began placing kisses against her porcelain skin, sending shivers running own her spine.