JANICE

This was getting extremely complicated. I wanted out. Hillary died and there was nothing that could bring her back. But I knew I couldn't back out. I needed to know who it was. Was it Thomas? Would he have done it? Everybody now thinks it's him. Do I?

I don't know. This was extremely frustrating.

And officer Michael says interrogations need to begin.

The key turned in the lock.

I pushed open the door and walked in. The pain on my shoulders made it increasingly numb, I threw my handbag on the couch and sat down next to it.

My life was all about Hillary's death now. I hadn't gone to work since then. I rubbed my forehead in circles and got up to go to bed. My dark circles were back, and the bags under my eyes became more prominent. Ugh. I hated this.

There was nothing else I could even think about. Okay. The only suspects right now were Eliza and Thomas. Since Thomas didn't know Eliza had come over, it couldn't have been the both of them together. So it had to be either one of them unless a motive was discovered for Thomas's friends or Diana. Which was probably not that likely.

I was tired. Really tired. Everything was blurry.

There was a cliff, it looked ragged and scary. It was a dead end. Hillary was there. Standing near the edge and looking below. As if contemplating whether to jump or not. I wanted to yell no, but I just couldn't do it. She still wasn't moving. There were footsteps. Thomas appeared. Hillary turned back to look at him and he smiled at her. I was watching, worried. Neither of them looked away, nor did they say anything to one another. Hillary turned front again. I wanted to scream. But I couldn't. She stood there staring and then, took a small step backwards which gave me some relief. Thomas walked forward towards her. He put his arms on her shoulders affectionately. They stayed like that for a few minutes and she was fine. A second later Thomas's hands move from her shoulders to her back and she fell. Down, with a huge force, I yelled, screamed. Why did he do that? What was happening? I turned around to look at Eliza's face and it all turned black.

The sun was up today early, which was I face quite rare. 

I could faintly remember a dream I had. I think... 

Thomas's first interrogation was today. Should I go? Or not? What would I do there? Know the truth. Know who's lying. Right?

I'd go. I needed to. I wore my white buttoned-up shirt and a thin black blazer with black trousers. I didn't know what to wear to something like this.

I drove there as this station was quite far away. I reached there on time. Thomas's car was already parked there. I walked in, uncertainly. There were about 10 people, half of them dressed like me. Thomas was wearing a plain T-shirt and trousers. He was sitting next to officer Michael.

"Mr Richards, here is the list of evidence against you. Please correct me if there are any errors. You were the only one who knew for sure that it would be Ms Richards who would take the pills and not you. The only other strong suspect, Ms Crane, had come there on your wife's invitation. She couldn't have known that she would be given an opportunity for murder as the text and the meeting was on the same day. Even if she had, which was quite improbable, she would not be left alone in your house by your wife now would she? The cyanide dealer had your name on the register. He claims there was a different man helping him that day so he isn't aware of who actually purchased the cyanide, so we will soon look into this. The signature, although, was quite similar to yours which is a hard handwriting to fake. You had opportunity, knowledge and motive."

"MOTIVE?! I loved Hillary! I would never do that to her. Do you understand?! There is no motive!"

So Eliza wasn't a motive?

"I understand Mr Richards. We will still need you to cooperate with us till we are completely sure. Everything would certainly be easier if you confessed"

"Confessed WHAT?! There is nothing to confess. I did not kill Hillary."

"Then who do you think did it, Mr Richards?" Officer Raymond asked calmly. Officer Michael was taking notes. What was he even writing? He looked up to catch me looking. I turned away. Thomas's face was red. He looked angry but hopeless.

"I-I don't know. How would I know?"

I sighed. This was getting nowhere.

"She was your wife. There was a maximum of 10 people who could have gone through with this. All of them who you, Mr Richards, knew best."

"I-I"

"I'm sorry Mr Richards but all the evidence points to you. You still have sufficient time to prove otherwise, if this accusation is wrong but if it is, in fact, correct, it would be best for you to confess"

I looked at Thomas, waiting for a reply.

"I-I I need some time to think" He pushed his chair backwards and got up. He walked away fast, out of the building.