ELIZA

"Come on in"

"Thank you." He sat down on the edge of the couch and took out his notepad. While he was flipping open the pages one at a time, I turned around quickly to look at the room. There was no sign of Thomas when I looked from here. I turned back fast.

"Okay Ms Crane, you are aware that all the current evidence points to Mr Richards right?"

"Um, I guess..."

"Is there anything you are aware of or anything you would like to share with us?" My heart was beating rapidly. If it weren't cold, I would probably be sweating so much right now.

"Not really..."

I wasn't sure of anything myself. What could I tell them?

"At what time did Ms Richards text you?"

"7 am I guess"

"And at what time did you reach her place?"

"Around 11"

"Okay, were you with Ms Richards the whole time?"

"Yes"

"Again, I would like to ask you, do you think Mr Richards is the kind of person who was capable of killing his wife? It could be in an unstable state as well."

"I don't think so. He loved her."
He did.

"Could you describe your relationship with Mr Richards?"

"There isn't much to describe... I loved him...."

I was aware of him standing in that room, listening to every word I said about him.

The officer looked at me. He nodded.

"Okay"

"So what are you going to do? Arrest Thomas with whatever evidence you could find?"

"Ms Crane, I will have you know that the evidence against him is pretty strong and we will not be taking any action without complete proof. Or in this case, until the dealers partner comes back to be able to recognise who it actually was. And of course, the dealer we found is in custody right now, for the illegal activity."

"Oh okay then"

I tried to stay calm but this memory, now clear in my mind, kept coming back to me. I was standing in front of a man. My hand on his shoulder and someone next to me. He was handing over something. Pills. Poison. The person next to me took it. I was laughing. I was crying, my face felt numb and hot. He pushed a book into our hands. Hillary took it. She held the pills in one hand and scribbled something, laughing with the other. There were tears in her eyes. We were more alike than I thought we were. Why now? Why did I have to remember this now? It was us.

Me and Hillary.

"I will take your leave now. Thank you for your time, if we need further information, we might have to contact you again. Thank you."

"Okay" I closed the door and lingered there for a while.