part six

Asami

Asami sat herself down in her bathtub, surrounding herself with the scent of rose petals and melting into the bubbles and warm water.

She had drawn the bath as a last attempt to calm her nerves, but it seemed as if nothing would be working for the evening.

All she could think about was the time ticking away before she would pick up Korra for their date.

Their first date...

If only Asami could talk to her 16-year-old self and tell her that she would one day go on a date with the girl she kept getting butterflies around. Maybe then she would have fought harder to convince Korra to stay three years back.

The woman let out a small grunt and sunk down into the bathtub as her brain pulled her into another memory.

Asami had spent the week rushing from school to Korra's house.

After a repeated history of always putting others before herself, Korra put her foot down and insisted that Asami continue to attend school. Despite how much she wanted to be by her side, she obeyed her wish as to not upset her any further.

Being paralyzed from the waist down was affecting her hard. Asami was trying her hardest to be there for her, but deep down she was terrified that the accident had already taken part of her permanently.

She couldn't imagine being in Korra's position. It was bad enough that everywhere she turned, there was always someone giving her a pity look.

It boiled her blood the way people talked about her best friend.

They labeled her out as a helpless victim, it no wonder she preferred to stay hidden behind the privacy of her doors in that cursed wheelchair all day.

Asami knew in her heart that her best friend would not want to be painted in such a way and it would only break her heart furthermore if she heard half the things others said about her.

With a deep breath released, she walked up the front steps and cautiously knocked. She could not reveal any hints of anger when visiting, for Korra would pick up on it in a heartbeat.

It was one of the only downsides of having someone who knew her so well.

Senna greeted her at the door with not much to report. Only a few words were exchanged pertaining to how Korra was still refusing to eat much and how she would only stare out her window longingly.

Asami knocked before heading into the room.

So lost in the endless sea that was her mind, Korra didn't even hear the footsteps. It wasn't until a pale hand rested itself on her shoulder that she looked up.

"I didn't even realize the time," she mumbled.

Asami sat down on the chair next to her. "How long have you been sitting here?"

"I don't know."

The other woman tried to hide how heavy her heart was. Every exchange of words felt as if she was losing the one she loved most just a tiny bit more.

Asami did her best to make everything seem as it was before, but she wasn't sure if Korra even remembered what their version of normal once was.

"Have you tried getting-"

"No."

"We could try those leg movements the doctor told us about-"