The Proposition

"Yoon Seri."

Seri looked up from the magazine she was browsing. "Uncle!" Standing up, she bussed the cheeks of her mother's brother, who has been her favorite relative and had gotten even closer to when her father passed away when she was still in her teens. 

He enveloped her in a big hug. "I missed you. Here! Your favorite chocolates."

Immediately, she was taken back to her younger years when her Uncle, Jung Man Bok, would always have treats specially for her, separate from her older brothers. Giddily, she took them and sat with Man Bok on the couch in his sprawling mansion in Hannam-dong.

"How have you been, Seri-ah?"

She shrugged. "Same old. I'm putting up another beauty clinic around Myeongdong in a few weeks."

"Sounds wonderful. Are you seeing anyone new?" her Uncle asked.

Seri crinkled her nose. "No. I haven't met anyone interesting."

"But you are happy, yes?"

"Yes," she confirmed. However, thinking about her busy life, she sighed and admitted, "I do wonder if I'm missing out though. Sometimes, I think maybe I should make an effort to meet and actually be with someone."

"Do you let your friends arrange dates for you? What do you young ones call it?" Man Bok paused. "Ah! Non-seeing dates?"

Seri chuckled. "Close! They're called blind dates, Uncle."

"Ah yes. Blind dates. Do you go on these dates?"

"Not lately. I don't think my friends know me well enough to set me up with someone who's a good match for me," she thought aloud. Turning to him, she suggested, "You know me best. Maybe you should get me a date, Uncle?"

Man Bok smiled. "Well, I have had someone in mind for you."

Seri's eyes widened. "Is that right? Who is it?"

"He is after all a man I respect and am very fond of. I believe he will be a good match. But that is not why I called you here today."

Seri looked at her Uncle. "What is it then? Tell me?"

Jung Man Bok sighed. "I need to go to the United States for some tests and would need to leave my businesses and the house with someone for a number of months. I was wondering if you'd consider doing this for me?"

Seri frowned at hearing her Uncle's news. "Are you feeling alright? What tests? You can't have it done here in Seoul?"

Man Bok patted her hand. "Do not worry. I believe all will be well. Would you consider what I said?"

"Are you serious, Uncle?"

He nodded. "Think about it and let me know, alright? Now, shall we have some lunch?"

***

"Do you have a medical condition you're not telling me about, Jung Man Bok?" Ri Jeong Hyeok narrowed his eyes at the older man.

Their families have been close since Jeong Hyeok was a young boy, given that Man Bok was best friends with his late father. When Jeong Hyeok's parents passed away when he was in college, it was Man Bok who stepped into the role of taking care of the teenaged boy, who had no siblings and was now an orphan.

"I'm fine. I just wanted to get tests to make sure," Man Bok replied. "But I'll be gone for quite awhile because I also want to take a long break. I am after all an old man. I deserve a vacation, don't you think?"

"Of course you do. How long do you think you'll be gone?"

"Maybe 300 days?"

Ri Jeong Hyeok frowned at such a strange number. "And what am I supposed to do while you're gone?"

"House sit. I'd also like to get you involved in some of my business matters."

"You own a lot of companies in industries I'm not familiar with. This might not be such a good idea," Jeong Hyeok expressed concern.

"Don't worry. I have plans drawn out to help you and I'm not leaving this with you alone. You'll have help."

"Who?"

"I'll let you know," Man Bok stood up. "Now, how about some dinner?"

 "Now, how about some dinner?"