Late night talks

Athena's POV

I couldn't sleep.

My mind just wouldn't shut down for a minute for me to fall asleep. I was thinking of Black. Why? I have no idea. I was even thinking why am I thinking of him in the first place. Most importantly why am I doubting my feelings for him?

From the first year to the beginning of my third year I had a massive crush on him. Then when what happened happened, I concentrated on healing from what he did and rebuilding myself.

This year, he, for some unknown reason, entered my life again. What does he want? Forgiveness? I already forgave him and I told him that.

Then there are those little things that he would do. Like hanging around me all the time, trying to make me laugh, defending me.

I decided that since I couldn't sleep, I'd grab a book and go to the common room to read.

When I entered the common foom, there was a figure sat on the floor with their back resting on the couch in front of the fire.

It was Black. He didn't notice me yet. He was staring at the fire and looked deep in thought. I couldn't help but study his features.

His hair darkened considerably since his third year. His grey eyes were still beautiful and had that twinkle of mischief in them. His lips were now fuller. Those lips that kissed me the other night in this common room.

Just remembering that kiss makes my stomach tighten... and not in a bad way. See what I mean by the weird effect he has on me and how confusing it is?

I noticed that right now, he looked sad. Vulnerable. I had an urge to comfort him, but I knew it's not my place.

I was thinking whether I should go sit on the other side of the room where he can't see me and I wouldn't disturb him, or go back to my dorm.

Just as I was turning around to go back to my dorm, I was stopped by a voice.

"Hey," he said, "what are you doing up this late?" His voice was soft and low, but I was still able to hear it.

I turned to him and said, "I could ask you the same."

"Couldn't sleep," he simply answered.

"Me neither."

"Care to join me?" he asked and patted the spot next to him on the soft red carpet.

Should I? Why the hell not? It's not like I could sleep anyway.

I sat beside him, making sure there is some space. I noticed a paper in his hand. When he saw me eyeing it he threw it into the fire.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said.

"Alright," I said. As much as I'm curious, I'm not going to push.

"Why can't you sleep?" he asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged, "What about you?"

"I don't sleep much usually," he shrugged back.

"Insomnia?"

"I guess so."

We sat in silence for a while. It was kind of comfortable. It's weird to think that. I never thought I'd be comfortable and relaxed in his presence.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. I looked at him confused. "About what happened with Argent today?"

Oh. Theo didn't even cross my mind. In fact, my mind was so busy with Black, that I totally forgot about the incident and betrayal.