The Gift

Athena's POV

The boys are acting weird. The girls and I were in the Great Hall having lunch when, as usual, they surrounded us. Remus sat beside Caroline a bit stiff, Black sat beside me looking extremely nervous, Potter was watching Remus carefully, and Peter was... well, he was eating. The only one who was normal.

"Are you alright, Remus?" Caroline asked Remus, sensing that something is wrong.

"I-I'm fine, just a headache," he said, not looking her in the eyes.

"Do you want to go to Madame Pomfrey to take a potion?" she asked, concerned.

"No need, it will pass soon. Thanks anyway," he said and went back to his food. Caroline looked down at her food looking a bit sad.

"So you two won't study today?" Angie asked, "Since Remus has a headache."

"I don't think I can. I... I... I don't want to confuse her since I won't be focused," Remus stuttered. This is not typical Remus behavior. Caroline looked really sad but, quickly covered it up with a smile. From the corner of my eye, I saw Potter face-palm himself.

"It's alright," she said, "I'm almost done with the assignment anyway. Thanks for helping."

"You're welcome," he said, still not looking at her. Her smile faltered for a second again but she quickly covered it up.

I turned to Black and leaned a bit closer to him so no one could hear me.

"What's wrong with Remus?" I asked him.

"It's nothing, nevermind," Black answered staring at me.

"It's not nothing. Something's wrong," I whispered.

"He's just being a stubborn git, he'll be fine," he whispered back.

I was going to ask him to be more specific when an owl landed in front of me with a package and a letter tied to it. I untied them from its leg and gave it a treat then it flew away. I opened the letter first, it was from the secret admirer.

I wish I can tell you how I feel, but I'm just afraid of what your response will be. I want to tell you how you are the only one I think about all day and night, how I dream that one day we will be together, how I get jealous when I see someone flirting with you, how when you smile, I smile, how you brighten my day when I see you, how I notice everything you do, how... I love you secretly.

I felt my heart skip a beat when I read the last four words. Here, he said it again, he loves me.

I opened the package and saw a small velvet box. Inside it was a gold bracelet with stars on it. I gasped when I saw it. It's beautiful. It's so simple and that's what makes it beautiful.

"Wow," Lily said when she saw it.

"Wow indeed. It's beautiful," said Angie.

"It looks a bit expensive," I said.

I looked around a bit to see if anyone is looking. Surely the admirer would like to see my reaction.

"Why don't you put it on?" said Caroline. 

I smile and tried putting it on but, I was having trouble closing the chain. I was about to turn to Lily for help when a hand softly grabbed my wrist.

"Here, let me help you," said Black.

His touch was warm against my skin, yet, it somehow made me shiver. He closed the chain but, kept his hands lingering gently over mine. He looked at me. His look was intense. I found myself lost in his beautiful eyes. It was like he was trying to read me, and I was doing the same.