CHAPTER FOURTEEN

😍Please do not forget to vote, share, comment and add to your list.

Olumide looked at Fiyi with pity in his eyes. She looked broken as the policeman ushered her into the room where he was waiting for her. There were bruises on her cheeks and forehead, she looked tired.

He was angry at whoever did this to her. He could see mosquito bites forming on the arms she put on the table.

"Olumide, I swear I didn't do it, " she said with tears in her eyes immediately she took the seat opposite him.

"Why won't anybody believe me? All I ever wanted was to be better, have a better life, provide for my family, help my siblings. See where that got me. I can't even hurt a fly. They said I poisoned a whole human being, how is that even possible?" she sobbed

"Calm down, I will get you out of here. That's why I am here. I am working something out."

He patted her hands on the table.

"Is my mother outside?"

"No. I told her to go home and rest.

You should have called me, " He complained. August and I have been out of town for a whole week. I told you about some things we are trying to put in place with the company.

"Yeah, I know. They collected my phone, everything, there's no way I could have contacted you."

"I am so sorry about this. I am still shocked."

"Me too, they just came to our house on a Sunday evening and picked me up. They said I was coming to write a statement, that was all. I believed them. I wrote the statement and they told me I couldn't leave."

"I have been trying your line to no avail just to check up on you."

Fiyi was crying profusely now. "This is the reason why I have been unavailable."

"May did not tell her brother and I anything. I even asked her if you came around for work, and she said no. She practically calls me every day.

I was shocked when I got to August's house and I met a woman at the security post. At first, I wanted to ignore her but she was looking distraught and I asked her what happened, only to find out it was your mother and she said they picked you some days ago. Apparently, she's been going there to beg Mrs. Wright."

"Does she look alright?" Fiyi asked sniffing

"That aside, What exactly happened?"

"I don't know," Fiyi burst into fresh tears. "I have no idea."

"At least give me something to work with. What did they tell you? What happened the day May fell ill?"

"The day May fell sick, I was on my way out when she got back from her outing with a friend."

"Which one of her friends?"

"The one that follows August all over the place," she sniffed

"As usual, I greeted her, she ignored me and just told me to get her a drink."

"At first, I wanted to complain but you remember what happened the day she told me to get you something and I refused?"

Olumide nodded.

"I didn't want a repeat, so I went back to get the drink for her. When I got to her room, I knocked, nobody responded so I went in, dropped the drink, and left."

"Who else was in the house with you?"

"Nobody. The cook left a few minutes before her arrival saying she needed to get some stuff."

"You said May came in with a friend."

"Yes, I left her friend outside, she was receiving a call."

"Did you see her when you left the house?"

"No." She shook her head, "I could have missed her though. I went through the back door because I didn't want her to see me and request for something else."

Olumide sighed

"We were about to sleep last week when the police came to my house and picked me up. They said I poisoned her." Fiyi explained

"I am confused, did you put anything in the drink?"

"I will never do such." She said vehemently.

"What kind of drink was it?"

"It was just juice."

"Did you check the date or something?"

"No, I didn't, they said I had a motive. Her friend said she's seen us fight before. As if I'd fight with someone I considered a boss."

"Have they questioned her too?" Olumide asked

"I don't even know. I just want to get out of here. I will never do that to another human being."

"Baby, I will get you out of here. I am so sorry to see you like this." He made to hug her.

"That is not allowed, " the policeman on guard cautioned

Olumide eased back in his seat.

"Can I see the DPO please?"

"Oga no dey, " the man replied.

"I'd like to see the person in charge then." He requested.

"Thank you so much for coming to see me."

"I didn't know Mrs. Wright will go this far. May was already talking when we left on our trip. I have been to see her a few times too.

You will get out of here today, I can't wait to hold you in my arms. I was looking forward to a long weekend with you, only to come back to this."

"I hope I get out of this."

"You will, " he assured her.

Olumide went outside to call August and ask how far with his mom

He said he was still trying to talk to her.

"Maybe I should just get my lawyer on it," Olumide said. "I want her out of here today."

"Don't worry, we'll get her out."

"I'll just wait for your call then. If I don't get feedback in the next one hour, I am calling my lawyer. You need to see her bro."

"I am working on it," August assured him.

Olumide asked to be directed to the boss' office.

Mrs. Wright went too far this time around. Why would she pick only Fiyi? Why wasn't May's friend questioned too? At least she was there. He remembered that when they were driving back after August got May's call, August called Foyeke and she said she just left the house while Fiyi said she was already in school. It automatically means she was at the house when Fiyi left and should be questioned too.

SEE YOU NEXT TIME