I gently leaned down and kissed her forehead. She hummed softly but remained asleep.
I brushed my teeth and changed into my workout clothes. I figured since I woke up early, I might as well start my morning workout. I felt my phone on the bedside table with a voice note recorded and ready for Sophie when she woke up telling her where I was. Despite being only six years old, Sophie was a wiz on the phone. Seemed like all kids were these days. Great, I sound like boomer.

The campus was still quiet. Most of the population were enjoying the last few hours of sleep before the day began. I, on the other hand, was heading onto the track for my morning warm-up exercise. I started slow, warming myself up before kicking it up to my full speed. I let my mind roam free as I ran, the rhythmic sound of my feet and heartbeat drifting off in the background. I thought about the classes that would begin later that day. About how the students would react to the change in dynamics between the moroi and dhampires. Of course, there would be resistance. Especially from the royals but also some dhampires. Most of these kids were taught since day one that the moroi came first and that they're were to be protected at all cost. That's what I believed, what I still believe. But there was no point in denying that the methods that we've been using thus far weren't helping anybody. Change needed to happen. Otherwise, we could say goodbye to the moroi race for good and, by extension, the dhampire race. So yeah, change sucked ass but it was necessary.

I began slowing down, reaching my last two laps. I walked the last one, enjoying the feeling of the adrenaline rush that flowed through my body.
After a few stretches, I went into the gym for some weights. I took off my loose vest that now clung to my body because of the sweat and threw it next to my bag, remaining in only my sportsbra. I had just begun when I heard the door open. I peaked over my shoulder to see who it was, and immediately, my body filled with dread. I walked the last person I wanted to be alone with. He came to halt when he saw me. Nervousness and discomfort played along his features but also a hint of excitement? I erased all emotion from my face, a neat trick I had learned from him, and casually nodded, acknowledging his presence and going back to my workout. I kept my focus on the task at hand, completely ignoring the tall guardian a few feet away.
That seemed to be the end of the awkward moment. He started his workout, and I carried on with mine. It started to feel like I was back home. I was working out by myself, thinking about what I was going to do that day, and what I was going to eat for breakfast. I was really in the mood for some pancakes. Or maybe French toast. I wonder if the cafeteria would have that. I wouldn't mind a doughnut either, but I wanted something savory this morning. Maybe some bacon... "Hello."
Suddenly Dimitri wasn't on the other side of the gym but right next to me. I blinked out of my thoughts and locked eyes with Dimitri, who was so close. I took two steps back, which he definitely noticed judging from the tiniest frown that disappeared as quickly as it appeared. "Hi."
"It's good to see you again. I did not get a chance to speak to you sooner," he said politely.
It was evident he was trying to make an effort. Maybe I should do the same. I would make the effort to be civil, but there was no way in hell I would allow him to treat me like the little teenage girl who was dumb enough to believe he actually loved and cared for me. No way in hell was I going to let that happen again. I calmly composed myself and smiled kindly to him. "Guardian Belikov, it's good to see you too. How have you been?"

His smile twitched at the use of his professional title, "I'm doing fine. Thank you and you? How have you been, Rose?" I felt a shiver run through me at the sound of my name on his lips. He was staring intently at me now. I knew exactly what he was doing. He was trying to get a reaction out of me. I'm trying to decipher if I'm still the same old Rose he knew before he disappeared. I secured my emotionless mask and calmly smiled at him. "I'm well, thank you."

I was ready to drop the conversation and continue to ignore him. I moved to the punching bag, wrapping my fist in tape when he came and stood behind the blue bag, clearly not finished with the conversation.