Part 5 - Bell Test

Start from the beginning

"You have until noon to get the bells. You can use all your equipment. If you really want to get a bell, you will have to come at me with the intent to kill." Kakashi said.

"But, Kakashi sensei, you could be hurt if we did that." Sakura stated.

'As if.' Naruto thought.

"Don't worry about me. Ready, set, go." He said and the three jumped away to hide.

'At least they know how to hide.' Kakashi thought.

Naruto made a shadow clone to keep an eye on Kakashi and jumped through the tree tops to a point he knew his sensei wouldn't be able to see. He then started thinking about the test. There was something really fishy about it. No genin would be able to beat a jonin, especially not an elite jonin like Kakashi in a one-on-one situation. So there was more to this. Look underneath the underneath, Kakashi had said. What was the hidden intent of the test?

After he had disposed of Sakura by using a weak genjutsu, really and the teachers at the academy had written she had an aptitude for genjutsu, Kakashi was confronted with Sasuke who stated he was different from the other two.

"Well, we will see if that is true." Kakashi calmly said.

First Sasuke tried to engage Kakashi in taijutsu. Kakashi had to admit, Sasuke was good for a student fresh out of the academy; he even managed to touch the bells with the tips of his fingers. That was impressive even if he was holding back against his genin. He threw Sasuke at a distance. Sasuke shot a great fireball jutsu at Kakashi, who was surprised, because no normal genin should have so much chakra. When the fireball ran out of energy, Sasuke looked around. Where was Kakashi?

'Left, no; right, no; above, no.' He thought.

"Below." He then heard and was pulled underground by his feet.

"Not bad Sasuke, really not bad. But you still didn't get a bell. Perhaps the Uchiha aren't all what they are said to be." Kakashi said and left his student to ponder.

Sasuke was fuming, how did Kakashi dare to insult his clan?

Naruto meanwhile had the answer and it gave him a headache. Teamwork. How the hell should he achieve that? None of his two so-called team-mates would be willing to work with him. He had his shadow clone that was trailing and observing Kakashi dispel to get the information about the jonin's fighting style. He processed the memories of the clone and then went to have his turn. He made two shadow clones to get his downed team-mates and to explain them the test's meaning.

He reached Kakashi's position and went through some handseals.

"Illusion Art: Cloak of Invisibility." Naruto whispered and vanished from sight.

He silently closed in on Kakashi's position, trying to use his high level of stealth to steal the bells without Kakashi noticing him. He didn't really want to show his true abilities when Sasuke and Sakura were possibly watching. The genjutsu was a B-Rank one, but they would never really know that. If those two found out too early what he could really do they would bitch to the council and try to have him forced to teach the emo all his techniques; so not going to happen.

Naruto was now directly below the bells on the ground. Kakashi seemed to not notice him. He reached for the bells when his hand was caught. He kicked out at Kakashi and jumped back. How had he known?

He let his genjutsu on trying to figure out what had gone wrong.

"You are really good, Naruto. I wouldn't have thought you to use a genjutsu that hid you that perfectly, but I have been confronted with a similar one in the third shinobi war against Iwa." Kakashi said and lowered his book. Naruto saw he had uncovered his left eye.