3 | Past, Present, Future

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes of silently slowing my breathing to the pace of the person belonging to the arms that held me, I sighed once more, gulped and opened my eyes.

Only to see a worried Elliot sat in front of me.

And still a pair of arms encircled me from behind.

"You gave me quite the scare back there,"

Me and Five were messily sat in a heap on the cool wooden floor. He reached around to feel my forehead and turned so he could see my face clearly. I pulled away. I knew I'd been crying- I was a mess.

"Hey," he said, cupping my cheek and pushing it so I could stare him in the eyes. "Don't look away from me, please".

He and Elliot helped me up, both grabbing one of my arms even though I insisted I could help myself. Five pulled the blanket over me again once I reached the couch, this time sat up. He sat down next to me, hesitant to place his hand on my knee as I stared off blankly into the distance.

"What happened?" He whispered when Elliot had gone to make my favourite tea. I simply shook my head and turned my gaze to study the intricate detailing of the floor, faintly seeing Five move away.

I didn't know myself what had happened, it was like a dream but it just felt so incredibly real.

Five shouldn't have to deal with it.

After unsuccessful contemplation, I turned my thoughts to focus on the scene playing out before me.

"Imagine Batman," he looked annoyed, "then aim lower,"

"What happened with Diego?" I assumed

He turned to me slightly with a look of amusement, but mostly relief. "You get started on that film, I'll be back as soon as I can," Five mumbled, going to grab his blazer from the kitchen.

"Wait," I tried to stand up after him and after seeing my attempt he space jumped over to me, lightly pushing me back down by my shoulders. "You weren't going to say goodbye," I admitted in a glum tone.

He chuckled and leaned forward, kissing me on my forehead again leaving me breathless for a second. It was becoming a habit.

"You told me I could come next time,"

"Next time then," he smirked.

And in a flash of blue, he was gone.

Elliot was quick to rush over to me when he was sure Five was nowhere to be seen, cup of tea in hand. After setting it down, he placed his hand on the back of my head and looked to me, his fatherly voice carrying in the empty room. "Are you okay?"

His eyebrows were furrowed and his forehead wrinkled with concern.

"No," I said safely, it almost coming out as a whisper.

He tugged me into a warm embrace and I laid my head onto his shoulder, softly sobbing. Uncle Elliot caressed my hair with his thumb just like he'd done when I was a small child.

I could feel gentle beating of his heart. It radiated warmth through to mine, instantly spreading kindness and calm.

El's hugs reminded me of home, a happy family image and I needed them like a hug from a father.

It was a hug from a father.

"It's okay if you're scared," he said in a hushed tone, "it doesn't make you weak,".

I hadn't heard those words in too long. Elliot had recited them to me in my hardest times as a child and it soothed me, almost as much as the words-