3 | Past, Present, Future

XANTARA
•1963•

I climbed the steps, careful not to trip over my own footing and threw myself onto the couch. My hands ran lazily through my hair and I stared up at the ceiling.

I've know him for a few hours.

So how did he manage to make me feel like this? Like his kisses were connected to keeping me alive.

I turned onto my side, pulling the blanket that hung over the back of the furniture over me and sighing. I shut my eyes, physically and mentally drained. Too tired to even make it to my bed.

I turned over groggily and peered at one of the many clocks on the wall. It was 8AM and luckily, a Saturday. I had nowhere to be. When I heard the familiar tune of 'Twist and Shout' being whistled from the kitchen, I turned over and pretended to be asleep still. Elliot wouldn't wake me up (especially on a Saturday) so maybe I could get a few more minutes...

I closed my eyes, reminding myself I couldn't look up when I heard his footsteps stop and the door creek open a smidge. Then I lost control

"We are not naming our child Jupiter, Jack,"
"Give me one good reason why not, Daisy," he retaliated, shooting back the first name basis treatment.

He shouldn't have done that. It only angered his wife more.

"Because," she used her hands to push herself up and off the kitchen counter top, "that's the fat planet!"

He sighed and so did she. They looked utterly miserable and exhausted. At least that's what Elliot Gussman thought as his footsteps stopped and he opened the door a smidge. There was no creek all those years ago.

"I'm sorry I couldn't help but over hear,"

"Oh Elliot we didn't wake you did we?," the woman, now known to be Daisy, rushed over to Elliot shooting her husband a furious look.
"No no," he speedily finished, "I was just laid in bed and well,". There was a pause. "Obviously you don't have to use it I mean I know it's completely your choice you have to like your baby's name and-"

"Elliot," Jack said gently, leaning forward in the armchair, softening his gaze

"Right, well I was wondering if I could put forward a name. It means protector of Earth,"
The married couple looked at each other knowingly.

Even after staying with Elliot for 2 years, after forming a family bond with him, they couldn't expose him to the unnatural hellish force constantly opposing them. Their powers remained secrets.

The parents were unaware of whether their child would have them too. But just in case...

"Xantara," he said

It was perfect.

"Xantara?"

"Xantara!"

I could hear a muffled voice screaming my name but I couldn't reply. I was now knelt on the floor, gasping for air, my chest claustrophobic. Guttering like a candle desperately holding onto its last flicker. Drowning.

I remember screaming.

A hand found the small of my back and after seeing my calming response, they pulled me into their chest tightly, desperately. I relaxed my head on their chest and could feel their heart pounding, surprisingly more than mine.