LEAD 21: nypd red

Start from the beginning

      “Can it wait Akira; I have to speak with the new Deputy Chief, who you’ll have to meet with shortly. I’ve already explained your situation to him and he understands. I think you’ll take a liking towards Deputy Chief Grayson,” Dad lets go and shoos me back towards the S5.

      I don’t even get a word out before my back hits someone. They let out a squeal and from the glass shattering against the wooden floor; I know I’ve backed into a woman. I internally groan and try to apologise until I realise who I bumped into. Immediately, I want to grind their face into the glass shards.

      “Uh-oh,” Banks says, “hey Adams…Pingelly, let’s go grab a drink, yeah?”

      My eyebrow twitches as I narrow my eyes at Amanda Jane. She’s dropped whatever alcoholic concoction on the ground along with her notepad and pen. The liquid has splattered all over her black pumps and tight dress. It looks like she’s wearing a boob tube. Her blonde hair’s out and she tucks half of it behind her pigmy ears.

      “Anna,” she tries for a smile because Sam’s still present.

      A-K-I-R-A. It’s not that hard.

      I press two fingers against my earpiece, “Squad Four Yellow this is Squad Five Blue, Detective Stevens. Is there any Amanda Jane on the invitation list with a reporters pass?”

      “Squad Five Blue this is Officer Shrike, copy. Officer Newman is checking the list now,” there’s a hiss of static after Shrike passes on the message before I hear the hum again calling me to attention. “We have no reporters clearances tonight, all press conferences will be held tomorrow morning; can we get your position so we can remove the suspect? Over.”

      “Squad Four Yellow, copy that. I’m posted in the ballroom near the stairs leading towards the upper levels towards Squad Three Green. Operative is rather agitated, shall I wait for you or cuff her now? Over,” I say.

      The rest of my Squad returns with their drinks and look between me, talking through the earpiece, and Amanda Jane whose spitting virgin curses at me. I say virgin curses because she pretends to preach like a Saint―girl, I’m the virgin here.

      “Squad Five Blue, understood. Hold your post unless target lashes out or tries to disrupt the peace. Officers Marcs and Casey are on route to your position now. Thank you for alerting us, over,” Shrike says.

      “You bitch!” Amanda Jane shrieks.

      I almost applaud her attempts at trying to hurt my feelings. Her scream is enough to silence the party and heads turn towards S5. I look over my shoulder to see the corner of Dad’s lip twitch up into a smirk, is he proud of me? I clear my throat and turn back to see Amanda Jane going for a weak hit to my jaw, I catch her fist in my palm and twist.

      “Detective?”

       Officers Marcs and Casey flank me and pick up Amanda Jane’s fallen notepad that has shorthand stories written. Marcs promptly scrunches up the written-on sheets of paper while Casey places his hand on Amanda Jane’s shoulder.

       “Ma’am we must ask you to leave, you are unauthorised to be here,” Casey starts walking a protesting Amanda Jane out of the room. She’s literally kicking and screaming, damning me and Sam to hell. Poor Prat, he didn’t even do anything wrong.

      “Sucks to be her,” Banks comments.

      When the party commences once more as if nothing happened, Banks bursts out into a fit of outrageous laughter and we both high-five. Adams nods in admiration while Banks explains yesterday’s story of me locking Amanda Jane in the NYPD locker room.