Chapter 8: 'Hierarchy'

Start from the beginning

Luz was a little taller than her, so she had to reach up a bit. Amity moved Luz's hair out of the way and put the bandaid on her temple, where Zayn had punched her. Luz flinched a little at the sudden contact, it stung a little. Amity moved back, "Shoot, sorry, does it hurt?" She asked worriedly. Luz shook her head, "No, it's fine" She reassured her, fixing the bandaid a little and running her finger through her hair. "Thanks, Amity," Luz thanked with a smile, putting her beanie back on her head. "Y-your welcome," Amity stuttered out, earning a nudge from Boscha. She turned to face her friend, and she was met by a smirk across her face. "Smooth Blight, real smooth," Boscha whispered to her. Amity growled out a bit, pushing Boscha away from her. Boscha laughed and put her hands back in her pockets.

"Alright then, let's get this nightmare started," Boscha said, walking ahead of them with her head held high. Amity and Luz began walking as well, staying a little further behind their pink-haired friend. They made random conversation the entire walk, things flew in through one ear and out the other. Luz was rather quiet today, her mind was still filled with millions of thoughts. She tapped her fingers on her thigh, making a random beat. Concern was coursing through her veins, growing within every step. Now, Luz wasn't sure if she was ready or not. She knew Zayn was basically the king of the school, the rest of the team being his knights. Hexside was basically a hierarchy, and Luz was merely a peasant.

The next thing Luz knew, her vision began to grow cloudy. The color was fading from the world right before her eyes, drowning everything in black and white. She panicked, what was happening to her? She was asking herself that question over and over in her head. Her breathing grew heavy and uneven, she choked back a cry for help. Luz had stopped in her tracks, she couldn't move; almost as if she was paralyzed. Her breathing was still heavy and she felt a thin line of sweat cover her forehead. She stared at the ground, her teary vision barely being able to make out blobs that were her shoes. 'No no no...not again...not in front of them,' Luz thought in her head.

Luz continued to stay still, making Amity talking to Boscha and look back at her. She saw Luz looking down at the ground, her eyes shut tight and her breathing heavy. "Luz!" Amity exclaimed, running over to her. Amity had placed her hands on Luz's shoulders, shaking her lightly. Luz had a tight grip around the strap of her backpack, Amity was afraid she would pop a blood vessel if she held on any tighter. "Luz, can you hear me?!" Amity asked, shaking her again. The Blight looked back a Boscha, both of them had a look of worry on their faces. "What do I do," Amity mouthed to her. Boscha shrugged her shoulders, neither of them knew what was happening to her.

Luz was still in the blank world, nothing but trees swaying with the wind. Then there was a loud crack of thunder, making Luz jump. All of the colors came back all of a sudden, and Luz could see them all around her. She could also see the sight of a certain green-haired girl, a look of concern written on her face. "Amity..." Luz mumbled out, releasing the grip on her backpack. Luz had thrown herself towards Amity, embracing her in the tightest hug. Amity was taken back but hugged her as well. Luz knew she was safe now, she knew that it was just in her head. That place wasn't real, but this one was. She was with Amity now, it was alright.

They had stayed like that for a little bit, and Luz felt a tear roll down her face. When they had pulled away, she saw Amity's smile that was plastered on her face. It made her heart skip a beat. "What was that dude, you ok?" She heard Boscha ask next to them. Luz had looked down in the position they were in, their arms were still tangled together. Luz felt a slight panic go through her and she pulled away, a pink blush dusted on her cheeks. "Yeah I'm fine, sorry about that," Luz had said, rubbing the back of her neck. "Are you sure, do you want to sit down or something," Amity asked. Luz waved her hand, "Oh no, I'm fine really, it's ok," Luz said, almost as if she was reassuring herself it was alright. "Let's just go to school, we're almost there," Luz said, pushing past the 2 and walking ahead.