Chapter 8: 'Hierarchy'

3rd Person POV:

Luz's alarm blared, causing her to let out a tiny yelp. She reached over and turned it off, looking at the time. It was 7:30 AM on Monday morning, 'Ugh, Mondays' She thought to herself. Luz rubbed her temple, the headache was still pretty bad from the party. She thought it would have gone away by now but it didn't. Luz let out a groan before getting up from bed, stretching out her arms. She had to go to school today, there was no way she could get another week off. Luz trudged her way over to the bathroom, going through her normal routine. She grabbed a bottle of pain killers and took 2 of them out, putting the bottle back in the cupboard. She silently made her way to her room, not wanting to wake her mom up from her sleep. Luz grabbed the water bottle on her nightstand and popped the painkillers in her mouth, taking a gulp of water after it.

Luz got ready and put on the clothes she was going to wear. It was just a pair of light wash jeans and a black shirt. She put on a black hoodie over it, she wanted to lay low today. Even though the party was over a week ago, people were still looking around for Luz. They called her a coward for not showing up to school every day. Luz ran her fingers through her hair for a moment, making it look presentable. "I need a haircut," She mumbled to herself, her hair was a tiny bit overgrown. When she thought it looked presentable, she took one last look in the mirror. "Good enough," She said with a shrug. Luz grabbed her backpack from the side of her bedroom door, along with a beanie that was dropped on top of it. Luz walked over to the kitchen, picking up a banana from the counter. As she ate her breakfast, she walked over to her mom's room, opening the door slowly. Her mother slept peacefully on the bed, soft snores could be heard from her. "Adiós, mamá," She said with a smile before closing her door. Luz didn't know what was going to happen today, but she didn't want to leave before saying goodbye to her mom. 

It was still kind of early, and Luz dreaded every second that ticked by. Amity had said she and Boscha were going to meet her so they could walk to school together, but they were nowhere in sight. A slight tapping could be heard from her bouncing her leg up and down on the wooden porch. Nerves shot through her, and it wasn't even time for school yet. She tried to shake it off, but it wasn't working; they kept on coming back. Luz's head raced with thoughts, the worst thoughts imaginable. Everything could go wrong today, she could end up dead if they were willing to go that far. She guessed that they would. For god's sake, she beat up the captain of the football team! Of course, that was going to earn her some type of punishment.

Luz didn't regret it though, because if she didn't do it, Amity would have gotten hurt. Luz didn't want to see that happen. She would do anything if it meant Amity was safe. Then, Luz heard voices near the end of the sidewalk outside her house. Luz looked up to see familiar faces, her friends. Luz bounced down her porch steps and walked towards them, giving them a warm smile. "Oh hey, Luz," She heard Amity say with a wave. "Good morning," Luz responded enthusiastically. "So, you sure you wanna go?" Boscha asked, her hands stuffed in her pockets. Luz nodded, "Yeah, I think I'm ready," She said. "Alright then, don't worry, we won't let anything happen to ya'," Boscha said, putting a hand on Luz's shoulder. Luz stiffened a little, but gave her a small smile and patted her hand. Luz looked over at Amity, seeing that she was staring at her.

"What is it, do I have something on my face?" Luz asked, wiping her face from anything that could be on there. Amity shook her head silently, "Come here," She said, motioning for Luz to come closer. Luz did so, to where she was a comfortable distance from her. She saw Amity go through her backpack as if she was looking for something. Then, Amity pulled out a bandaid from the pocket, closing it again. She walked a little closer to Luz, to where they were almost face to face. Luz tensed at her sudden actions, pulling herself away a bit. Amity unwrapped the bandaid, moving closer to Luz again. "Ok, take off your beanie and don't move, I don't want to hurt you," Amity said with a mumble. Luz did as she was told and stood up straight, not wanting to mess something up.