5th Ending: Please (Fili)

"No! No, Mahal! Fee?" you screamed as you ran towards the icy halls. You heard noises and Fili's shouts and you flew away from Kili where you were supposed to look after him on Fili's orders. You sprinted and panted and your throat burned, but you carried on. You arrived and saw an Orc raising its blade to strike down Fili who was laying on the ground unarmed and scared. You notched an arrow, aimed for the ugly creature's heart, took a deep breath... And let the arrow fly.

It hit the orc square in the heart and it fell back before it could kill Fili.

You could see that he was terrified and had already given up when you killed the beast. He closed his eyes and waited for the blow which never arrived. Fili's eyes shot open and he saw the dead Orc on the ground with an arrow in its chest. And then he saw you standing there with your bow in your hands.

"(Y/n)..." he said, his tone full of despair and admiration.

You ran to him and kneeled down in front of him. He sat up and you took his face in your hands.

"Fili, are you okay?" you asked.

'You were right on time," he said, his voice still shaking with the aftermath of the shock. You grabbed his hand and pulled him up. When he decided he could stand steadily enough on his own legs, Fili pulled you in for a hug.

"As always," he added. As he was reclaiming his weapons, he stopped in his track.

"(Y/n)... Where is Kili? I asked you to look after him. Is he alright?" he asked and looked at you afraid and a bit shocked.

"I left him alone when I heard your screams..." you managed to stutter as dread washed over you in waves. Fili was dashing over to where you had come from the moment he comprehended your words. You ran after him and hoped that Kili would still be there, unharmed. Fili left you behind and you had to slow down because your knees were giving in. You numbly staggered out to the open where once Kili had been standing... And now lay in the pool of his own blood. Your breathing failed and your knees finally gave in and buckled. You fell to the ground and averted your eyes from the limp form of Kili, who looked younger than ever, one last tear streaming down his face before hitting the ice beneath him. Fili hunched over his brother and silently cried into his chest. His stifled sobs broke your heart into a million pieces. You failed him. You saved him and abandoned his brother, sentencing Fili to life.

For hours, you just kneeled on the ground, afraid to move closer to him, afraid to anger him. You knew that it was all your fault and it was killing you. At least your love lived...

"(Y/n)..." he croaked after what felt like an eternity. The look he gave you was full of sadness, desperate need for comfort, anger, and even hatred.

"You could have saved him," he said as fresh tears formed in his eyes.

"You could have saved him," he repeated. "If you love me even a little, how could you disregard my request so heedlessly?"

"You know that I do love you," you whispered and let your tears fall freely.

"Oh, you do?" he cried. "I think not! If you really did, you would have done what I've asked of you. You should have looked after him. Protected him."

You shook your head as more tears came. "I heard your shouts... I couldn't leave you there alone. So I decided to come to your rescue."

Fili stared at you coldly and obviously hurt. "But you've abandoned him in the process." He clutched Kili's limp hand in his and looked at his face one more time only to never look away from him again. "Go now. Before I change my mind. And if you do, I promise no harm will come to you," he said and raised his other hand to close Kili's eyes.