Bree grimaces at the bitter taste of the vodka but fixes a curious look on the girl beside Damon. "So, how'd he rope you in?"

"I'm not roped in, actually, I was dating his–"

"Honey, if you're not roped, you're whipped," Bree interrupts, giving the girl a knowing look. "Either way, just enjoy the ride."

Elena sighs and shrugs, unable to disagree with the woman's words. "So, how did you two meet?"

The woman chuckles. "College,"

Elena looks at Damon in disbelief as he takes another shot. "You went to college?"

"I've been on a college campus, yes,"

"About twenty years ago, when I was a sweet, young freshman. I met this beautiful man, and I fell in love. And then he told me about his little secret, which made me love him even more. Because, you see, I had a little secret of my own that I was dying to share with somebody."

Damon leans over, feigning secrecy. "She's a witch."

Elena looks at Bree with wide eyes, but the woman simply nods. "Changed my world."

"I rocked your world."

Bree chuckles, grabbing another shot. "He is good in the sack, isn't he? But mostly, he's just a walkaway-joe," She slams the empty shot glass down on the table, her bitterness as strong as the vodka.

Elena glances at Damon, seeing him silently agree with her insult with a deprecating smile. The witch faces them again with a knowing, resigned look in her eyes. "So, what is it that you want?"

──────

"I'm just saying, when will we get an Elena-free day again?" Athena flutters her lashes, rolling her gaze to Stefan's tense posture beside her in the driver's seat. "I'm sure Damon won't do anything bad, we should just wait to hear from him again instead of actively hunting them down."

Stefan raises a dark eyebrow at her, taking his eyes off the road momentarily. "Are you saying you trust Damon not to kill Elena?"

"I never said that, I said he wouldn't do anything bad. Killing her isn't a bad thing."

"Athena," Stefan warns, giving her a brief, scolding look that she rolls her eyes at.

She sits up in the passenger seat as they round the block, nearing Bonnie's grandma's house. "Well, why do you care what Damon does to her? Aren't you the one that broke up with her?"

Stefan heaves a sigh, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel nervously. "Just because I broke up with her doesn't mean I won't feel bad if my brother kills her because he's childish and irresponsible."

"You are infuriatingly empathetic,"

"Well, it's either infuriating sympathy, or," He trails off, nodding to himself. "Let's just say that everyone will prefer me like this."

Athena narrows her eyes at the vampire, tucking a strand of wavy brown hair behind her ears. "I'm gonna get your tragic backstory one day, you know that, right?"

Stefan chuckles, parking the car right outside Sheila Bennett's house. "You have fun with that."

The teenager rolls her eyes, pushes the passenger door open, and steps out of the vehicle. She straightens the brown jacket on her shoulders, stuffing her hands in her pockets as she leads Stefan up to the front door.

Athena raises her fist to knock on the door, and the duo barely has to wait a second before the door swings open, revealing the older woman standing there with a smile.