[3] Accident

Josh P.O.V.

We got back to the car and climbed in. I put the key into the ignition and turned it. The car sputtered a couple of times, and then died. Oh, crap! You piece of junk, start! I thought as I kept trying to turn the key. Finally, it came to life. The little silver car was all I could afford and it wasn't the best. I carefully backed out of the parking space and drove out of the parking garage.

Devon P.O.V.

The sunlight shone through the windshield of the car and warmed my skin. I rolled my window to let in a cool breeze. I breathed in the fresh scent of new rain. I was content in this moment. I had Josh, and my life seemed nearly perfect.

Josh P.O.V.

Devon smiled joyously in her trance. The light turned red and I stopped. I checked my rearview mirror. A man in a red SUV was quiet a distance off. I became uncomfortable when I saw he had no control of his car. I nervously taped the steering wheel, waiting for the light turn green. In an almost instant, the car was within twenty feet of us and it was apparent he wasn't going to stop.

"Devon!" I screamed. The car hit us with such force that it pushed us out into the intersection. Cars came at us. One t-boned us and everything around me exploded into a furry of glass and scraps of metal. The car rolled a couple of times, and then stopped upside down.

Devon P.O.V.

I suddenly snapped out of my perfect peace to find myself out in the intersection. I looked up to a light, it was green. I looked over at Josh. A car came towards us and crashed into us. Everything felt so surreal. I saw things move past me in slow motion. Then the car hit the ground and rolled. My whole body was engulfed in searing pain. I blinked my eyes, at first the only thing I could see was blood. Everything became blurry to me. I felt like I wanted to fall asleep, but I knew I shouldn't go.

"Devon." I heard a faint whisper. "Devon!" It called out.

"Josh?" I responded.

"Devon, I'm sorry." he pleaded.

"I love you." Tears streamed down my face.

"I love you, too--." his voice trailed off.

"Josh..." I whimpered. I began to cry. How could this have happened! I'm only seventeen and Josh is eighteen. This is just a horrible dream! Outside of the car I could hear people screaming and saying "Call 911!!" I couldn't stay up any longer. I finally lost consciousness.

XXXXX

I woke up a short while later. A man's voice was yelling at me.

"Do you know your name?" he asked.

I tried to respond the best I could, "Devon.", but it only came out as a whispered.

"Ok, Devon, do you know what happened?"

"Where's Josh?" I responded. They lifted me into the back of an ambulance. Another man shined a light into my eyes. "Where's Josh?" I asked again.

"We're going to take you to the hospital." he responded. Tears stung my face.