[4] Hospital and Heaven

Josh P.O.V.

I regained consciousness and sat up. Maybe it was just a nightmare. I looked down at my left hand. The ring was still there, it wasn't a dream. I sighed and fell back. I looked around the room. It was strange. the whole room glowed softly. Then it hit me, Where was Devon!

"Devon!" I stood up, panicking. "Devon, where are you?!"

"She's not here." A man's voice said behind me.

"Who are you?" I turned around to face him.

"I think you know who I am." His voice resonated with a peculiar calmness.

"God?" The man nodded. "Then, I must be dead."

"Yes."

"Where's Devon?" I shouted.

"Devon did not die." he responded.

Devon P.O.V.

The pain was overwhelming. I stared up at the white ceiling and tried to force back tears. The doctors had given me some medication earlier, but none of it seemed to help a bit. Finally a doctor came in holding a folder in his hand.

"Where's Josh?" I immediately asked.

First he look down at the floor, and then up at me. He looked me strait in the eyes. "Devon, I regret to inform you," he began sorrowfully. "that Josh is no longer with us."

Tears flooded my eyes, and clouded my vision. "He's-he's--" The word dead would not come out of my mouth. Tears flowed down my cheeks. The doctor placed his hand on my shoulder and walked stiffly out of the room.

Josh P.O.V.

"Why!" I burst out. "Why did you do this?"

"It was her time." he simply replied.

"But why make Devon suffer!" I pleaded.

"She will not for long." Each of his responses were eerily calm. "Please feel free to watch." He waved his hand over the floor, and the floor turned to glass as the color was whisked away like a cloud. I looked down and saw Devon. She was crying into her hands. I looked away. I couldn't watch.

Devon P.O.V.

Hot tears covered my face. The news came so suddenly. My heart ached even more now. I wanted Josh to hold me in his arms more than anything right now. His tender embrace that use to comfort me are no longer there. I looked down at the promise ring on my finger, only more tears fell down.

Josh P.O.V.

"This is torture! Why are you showing me this?" I questioned.

"Patience, Josh, patience."