two

I can feel my heart aching in this intolerable pain when I think about you.

-

My first day at Hogwarts was wonderful, and I was less anxious about attending my first classes.
The first year kids have the whole weekend to rest and get ready for their classes on Monday.
I was ambling down the halls, barely paying attention to what was in front of me; Harry Potter and his two friends I saw him sitting with earlier.

They turned around and sent warm smiles towards me.

"I love your hair." the bushy haired girl blurted as she started to touch my hair.

My hair was unlike my brother's. He had my father's platinum blonde hair, always slicked back and full of gel, while I was blessed with my mother's natural hair. It was long, brunette, and silky, flowing down my back with strands of caramel when it reaches the sunlight.

"And I love yours." I replied grinning as I glared into her eyes. They were expressive and large, sweet and innocent; swirls of chocolate and walnut.

She grinned back at me as she began to introduce herself, sticking out her small hand.
"I'm Hermione Granger, who are you?"

Harry nudged Hermione on the shoulder and whispered something into her ear before I could introduce myself.
Hermione quickly moved her hand back down and her smile turned into a frown.
"You're Draco's sister?"

My eyes shot towards Harry. He must've told Hermione I was not trustworthy because I was a Malfoy. Oh how I disliked Harry Potter already. Father was right about him.

"Yeah. So what?" I grunted.

The red-haired boy gasped as he backed away from me.
"Get away from us." he hissed.

I stood there in shock, unable to speak or move. They've got to be joking right?
My first couple of days at Hogwarts and i've already made enemies because of my halfwit brother.

"I don't see the problem here." I shrugged, keeping my glare locked on them.

They shot their heads down to the floor, their eyes immediately disconnecting from mine.

"You're a Malfoy. We've learned that Malfoys aren't people we want to associate with." the ginger haired boy asserted as his eyes gazed back up at mine.

"I'm nothing like my brother if that's what you're going on about." I assured, with a hint of aggression in my tone.

Hermione shot a huge, toothy grin towards me which seemed unconvincing. "I'm sure of it. Ron here is a little naive sometimes. Now excuse us please, what was your name? We have to get to our common room now."

"My name is Avalon. But please, don't go making assumptions that I'm like my family. I'm not. But if you ever disrespect them ever again-"

"Avy? What are you doing here with Pottah and his musty friends? Are they bothering you?" Draco thundered as he walked over to where we were standing.

I hesitated before answering. "No, they're not bothering me. I was just leaving."
And with that, I bolted away and found myself walking downstairs towards the Slytherin common room.
Draco quickly approached me.

"What was happening back there?" he questioned as he tried to stop me.

"Nothing."

I continued stomping my way down the stairs, until he stopped mid-way down, tugging on my robe to stop me.
"If Pottah was giving you a hard first day at school just let me know." he asserted.

"He wasn't!"

Draco sighed and rushed down the stairs, leaving me standing in the middle of the staircase.
Suddenly, a familiar, husky voice coming from behind startled me.

"Avalon."

I turned around to see the tall boy with jet black hair from earlier, Tom Riddle. He appeared even lankier standing up, his eyes were rings of ebony and appeared shadowy and inquisitive.

"Hello." I responded as I began to trek down the stairs.
He followed me down until we reached the very bottom.

"Why is your hair brown? Your brother's hair is blonde, your father's hair is blonde. I've seen him around. I'm assuming your mother's hair is blonde as well—"

My eyes met his as a look of puzzlement crossed my face. I hesitated before I gave a response.
"Because my mother has naturally brown hair." I boasted. "Why are you even asking me that?"

His face remained serene and composed.
"Interesting."

This boy would do anything to spark up a conversation with me.
I need to know why.