CHAPTER 15

It seems like I've been mulling over Niklaus's proposal for days, although I really don't know what days are any more – it could easily have been months. But I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to be more agreeable to him if I want to find my way out of here, or at least find out where here is.

I recall the flicker of another memory about Dr Reeves Senior from the on-call room: My hair released from the restraints of my nurse's cap and flowing down my naked back... Dr Elwood Reeves below me, his tanned skin showing through his open shirt... me kissing him deeply to stifle his moans while I grind in rhythm with him. Yes I could do it; I could bend a man to my will – perhaps I still can. And maybe this time I can get what I want without compromising myself too much?

I wander up to geriatrics and linger in the darkness of the unlit waiting room. Only the security lights outside give the room a soft haze.

Perhaps he will come if I call? "Niklaus?" I feel like a fool, calling his name.

"Niklaus, where are you?" I look around and still nothing.

"Niklaus, please! I've considered your offer!" I turn around and he's standing there in the doorway.

I walk up to him and put my hands on his shoulders running them down his arms "Oh Niklaus..." I sigh longingly just as Nicole did. "I'm so glad to see you..." I press my body against his but cannot bring myself to hold his hands, so I hold his wrists instead. His body is tense.

"You're glad to see me?" Niklaus seems suspicious and he doesn't respond to my body against his.

"Yeah, I've considered what you said. I think you're right. We only have each other in this existence and I should feel blessed that I've been chosen by you."

"That isn't what you said last time we met. You told me it was unfair that I would hide things from you after putting you in this state."

I put my finger to his lips to hush him. "I'm sorry, I was wrong. I'm ok with the terms so long as they're fair. I do enjoy your touch – it's nice to be reminded I'm not alone..."

Not entirely false; it is nice on the odd occasion to have Niklaus near. I look up into his eyes for an answer. He's searching mine and I sense he wants to believe me, but after our last conversation I don't blame him if he's uncertain.

Niklaus lifts his hands and cups my cheeks. I know from that look he wants to lean in to kiss me. "Wait." I whisper urgently. "What do I get in return?"

Niklaus closes his eyes for a moment and sighs. When he opens them he seems more assured. "A question answered."

"Just one?"

"One question that befits the action."

"Then this is too much!" I pull his hands off my cheeks. "I know how much a kiss from me would mean to you. I'll save it until later."

I can see the hurt in Niklaus's eyes, oh so briefly before it's replaced with cunning. "What's your question?"

"Who am I?"

Niklaus chuckles and shakes his head "No, that question would deserve at least a kiss. Think again."

I take a moment to think. "What am I?"

Niklaus gestures for me to sit at the end of a rectangular bench seat in the centre of the room. Held by my word I do as I'm told. I sit on the edge of the cushioned bench facing away from him, but now I'm feeling nervous. I want my voice to sound authoritative, but when I speak it tremors. "When I say stop, it means I think your question has been paid. Understand?" How does Nicole make this look easy?