viii. puttin' on the ritz

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 ˗
❝ enjoy it while it lasts, britain's golden child. ❞

   "WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY BROTHER WILL BE ATTENDING?" ALEXANDER QUESTIONED, turning to Theodore with a confused look in his eyes. "Theo, you can't be serious."

   "I am quite serious," Theodore chuckled, watching Alexander as the prince observed the guards loading his luggage into the Royal cars. "When you booked the royal suite at the Ritz, your father was notified. He sent your brother down this morning, probably to make sure you don't... misbehave."

   "A chaperone? Dear God," Alexander scoffed, looking in the mirror at what he was wearing. It was a simple blue sweater and grey trousers, suitable for the slightly warm weather of England - but that was exactly like England. It never passed slightly warm. Other than that, it was always cold. Alexander didn't mind that at all - he didn't like hot weather, anyway, and preferred the autumn and winter months to the summer and spring. "I'm an adult. This is ridiculous. And which brother? I have four, you know."

   "George," Theodore answered. Alexander figured that wasn't too bad, George being the closest to his own age and the least annoying out of his brothers, but he still felt peeved that his father thought he needed to be watched over. Adjusting his hat, the prince walked over to the front door of the apartment and exited it, Theodore following behind. Finn had already left earlier, as he would be travelling with Thomas and Arthur Shelby. That meant Alexander would be travelling alone.

   "Why don't you come along, Theo?" Alexander insisted one last time, turning to his friend with a desperate look. "You know Henry, Thomas and Arthur will dominate the conversation. I'll be bored."

   "You sound like a child," Theodore said with a chuckle, giving Alexander a nudge before walking down the steps to where the cars were waiting. A set of five Daimler cars with the royal standard flag. Four of them were just security, and the one in the middle was for Alexander. "Go on, get in. By the time you get to London it will be one in the afternoon. Better get some rest before dinner. You'll definitely need it, dealing with those lot."

   "Alright, mother," Alexander chuckled, hugging the boy momentarily. "You look after Laurie. Use this as bonding time."

   "I'll look after him, but it's not bloody likely he'll warm to me anytime soon," Theodore warned, holding the door open for Alexander as he climbed into the Daimler. "Go on, I'll be here when you get back. It's only one night."

   "Right," Alexander grumbled. With that, he gave a final wave to his close friend and the cars began their journey to London.

For the majority of it, Alexander was slipping in-between sleep and consciousness, or reading a book he had brought with him. Sitting alone in a car for two hours was incredibly boring, and he felt himself growing agitated. He doubted it would help his already foul mood, but at least hoped it wouldn't interfere with the dinner later that day.

The five cars stopped outside of the Ritz Hotel London in Piccadilly. Just by looking at it, you could see why it was a symbol of high society and luxury, one of the most prestigious hotels in the world. But he hadn't much time to admire the exterior of it, as almost as soon as the royal cars had entered London, it had garnered attention. It was like wearing a frilly, neon pink dress at a funeral. It was just bound to be noticed.

The guards opened the door for Prince Alexander, and he was ambushed by the flashing of camera lights and calls for his name. The Prince flashed his charming smile, raising his hand in a sign of acknowledgment as he was guided to the entrance of the Ritz.