"Move." I hissed, breaking the tense silence between us.

"Like you can make me." She smirked, glowing eyes drilling into me. Her voice was starting to hurt my ears. "Let go, human. Or I'll break y-."

"Hey." My eyes shifted to the side, vaguely realising that the bar had gone silent during the confrontation. The angel who'd spoken up was sitting at the bar. "That side is Ryleigh's. Come back and here and stay civil. Or stop coming here."

The angel scoffed. Her skin was so hot under my hand. "You're going to take a human's side?"

"That's no human. That's the Weapon Bearer." That's a title, right? "She holds the treaty brand. Hurting her is a personal affront to the Elders." She cocked her head. Wait, I recognise her. "Do you want to chance something like that?"

I felt the angel's skin start to cool under my hands. It drew my eyes back to the fading glow of her blue eyes. "You hold the Weapon?"

I sighed. "Yes. I hold it." Not right now. I'm sure it's somewhere.

"Can't be." Her eyes flickered over me. "You're weak."

"Yes. I am. Again, I didn't choose it." Her hand relaxed under my grip. I jerked my head to the side. "Go back there. And say my name when asking for a drink. I will not be bossed around under this roof."

Her eyes moved over me. "You're... branded."

"Yes. Also, not my choice." Leaving the city had been my only autonomous decision.

She pulled her arm back, I let go. There was a warm gust and she was back by the register within the blink of an eye. "Apologies." She nodded.

"I'm used to it." I nodded back, crossing my arms in front of my chest. "Now, what do you want?"

Her eyes turned down. I could see the pride she swallowed right before she spoke. "Gin and tonic."

I raised an eyebrow. "Gin and tonic, what?"

Her jaw tightened. "A gin and tonic, please... Ryleigh."

"There you go." I smiled at her as I turned away. "Not that hard. My name just rolls right off the tongue."

I took my own sweet time making the simple drink. After that debacle, the newbie could wait. But the angel who'd defended me was my next stop.

She looked up from her drink as I approached her. "Thank you for that." I smiled at her blank face. "Next drink is on me."

The angel nodded, piercing blue eyes a sharp contrast against her chocolate skin. "Thank you."

I didn't wait for her to elaborate on that. They weren't the most wordy of beings. "You're the angel who arrived once to back up Mike, right?"

She nodded. "I am."

"I knew I recognised you." I held up a two fingers at the demon waiting to order at the register, a silent request to wait "Are you and Mike close?"

"We're comrades."

"Good comrades, or like 'passing acquaintances' type of comrades?"

"We've fought together."

"Uh, good enough." I nodded witb no idea about what that meant. "Do you happen to have any news on him?"

The angel shook her head. "It's not for you to know."

"I knew you would say that, but please. He's my friend. I'm worried. He's been missing going on a week now."

She shook her head again. "You don't need to know."