Chapter Two

"No, you're not going to a party at that time of night," Aunt Kit answered when I asked her about going to the party. We were sitting around the dinner table, eating small portions of lobster and fries, while Beatrice had a small bowl of sweet peas. "But, Aunt Kit, it's summer, and if I'm gonna be staying here for a while, I should at least be able to go out and make some friends," I explained.

Uncle Dewey looked up at me, silently telling me that he knew I could handle myself. It wasn't him who I was worried about. It was Aunt Kit. She used to be so kind, but since the birth of Beatrice, her emotions were all over the place. One minute she'd be happy, the next she'd be boiling over like a tea kettle. 

"Besides, you spend too much time with Veronica, and all you ever talk about is mermaids. I don't think she's a good influence on you," she added. "Veronica and I have been best friends since we were ten, now all of a sudden, you don't like her?" I asked, raising my voice. Beatrice started whimpering, and Uncle Dewey had to take her out of the room while Aunt Kit and I bickered like schoolchildren. "The answer is no, and it's going to stay that way," She said sternly.

I let out a small, frustrated sigh. Why is she so stubborn sometimes?  I was no longer hungry. I couldn't even bring myself to eat a small bite of food. "I can't eat. I'm going to my room," I sighed, getting out of my chair. "Excuse you? You are not going anywhere! Get your butt back in your seat!" she yelled. I shook my head and walked down the hall to my room, locking the door behind me.

I slowly sank onto the floor and buried my face in my hands. My breath hitched in my throat, and I was struggling to breathe. After some time, I was finally able to breathe and I started crying hard. Veronica's a good friend. Aunt Kit should understand that.

Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?

Wouldn't you think my collections complete?

Wouldn't you think I'm the girl,

The girl who has everything?

Look at this trove, treasures untold,

How many wonders can one bedroom hold?

Looking around here, you'd think,

"Sure, she's got everything!"

I've got seashells and seaweed aplenty

I've got coral and driftwood galore,

You want some starfishes? I've got twenty.

But, who cares? No big deal, I want more.

I want to be where the merfolk are,

I want to see, wanna see them splashing

Swimming around with those, what do you call them?

Oh, Fins!

Flipping your feet, you don't get too far,

Fins are required for splishing, splashing

Floating along down a, what's the word again?

Stream.

Down where they swim, down where they slide,

Down where they play all day in the tide

Wandering free, I wish I could be part of that world.

What would I give, if I could live out in those waters,

What would I pay to spend a day, cool in the sea

I betcha down there, they truly care,

Bet they aren't unfair with their daughters

Bright merwomen, loving swimming, I want my share.

I'm ready to know what the merfolk know,

Ask them my questions and get some answers

Why do you ask? Cause I want to, you know the word, learn.

When's it my turn?

Wouldn't I love? Love to explore your world I dream of?

Under the sea, wish I could be,

Part of that world.

I heard a knock at the door, and I started to panic wondering, if it was Aunt Kit coming to yell at me for singing. "Go away," I muttered. "Delphine, it's Uncle Dewey," called the voice from beyond the door. I stood up, and I carefully opened it, and sure enough, I saw Uncle Dewey standing there, still holding Beatrice in his arms. "Can we talk?" he asked. I nodded and opened the door enough for them to come in.

"I'm not apologizing to Aunt Kit if that's what you came here to tell me," I sighed. "I'm not forcing you to apologize. I just wanted to talk to you and see how you're doing," he said, taking a seat next to me on the edge of my bed. Besides getting into an argument with my aunt, I'm fine. "I'm okay, just tired of the fighting," I sighed.

Uncle Dewey patted my back gently, and I started to feel slightly better. "You can go to that party tonight," he said, breaking the silence. I looked over at him with a look of surprise quickly spreading across my face. "Really?" I asked. He nodded slightly, "Kit goes to sleep at 8:00. You can leave around that time. Just be back before midnight, okay?" he explained. "Okay, Thank you, Uncle Dewey," I smiled, hugging him and Beatrice lightly.

"Now, get ready for that party. I will keep her distracted," Dewey said, standing up and closing the bedroom door behind him. I let out a soft squeak of excitement as I landed on my back. "I'm going to a full moon party!" I whispered to myself.