Playing Innocent (chapter 2)

Start from the beginning

You start eating your breakfast, all the while staring at that lovely, but lonely, blossom.

*^*^*^*

XAVIER'S POV 

I lean back against the wooden door, eyes closed. Did I really just see him do that? I think, shaking my head. And why did it make me--

No! I shake my head again, trying to get rid of the thought, and the sudden rush of blood. I glance down the hall, making sure no one is around to see me. Satisfied that the hall is bare, I push myself off the door and make my way back to the kitchen.

As I make my way down the hall, I pass Master Kaleb's study. The door is slightly ajar, so I am able to see who is inside. Master Kaleb and his father, Master Stewart, sit on the leather chairs, talking. I creep to the door, going as close as I dare.

"How is the boy?" Master Stewart asks, raising his greying eyebrow at his son.

"He is fine, Father," Master Kaleb answers, his fingers tapping the side of his chair in a slight rhythm.

"Has he accepted you yet?"

"No, Father. He has a strong will. He does not want to be mine; but I can see how I affect him when I--"

"It is no use to affect him, and he does not let you claim him! You wanted someone as yours; someone that you loved: I gave you that option with him. I let you satisfy yourself with a male, since no female has ever sparked your interest. But, it has been five months and you still have not--" He sighs. "What I'm saying is: if he does not accept you, this boy you are in love with, I will not tolerate another; I will then find you a woman. These are your options, son:

"You either claim him as yours before the month is up, or you will marry a young woman that I chose."

Master Kaleb closes his eyes. "But, Father, you know I feel nothing for women. Would you make me marry someone I do not feel any attraction with?"

"You have already soiled our reputation with going after young men-- I have only permitted you to have a chance with this Lucas because you seem to be in love with him. If that does not work out; we at least have a chance to re-establish the family name with you marrying a woman. We could always say you were testing yourself; finding yourself, and that you have."

"Yes, Father," Master Kaleb says, his shoulders slightly slumping.

"Good boy." His father pats him heartily on the shoulder, standing up to leave.

I hastily step back, and, turning on heel, quickly make my way down the rest of the hall. I just manage to turn the corner before Master Stewart exits the study. I give a small sigh of relief. He doesn't like to see any of the servants roaming the halls.

As I come to the doorway down to the kitchen, I push it open and take the couple is steps two at a time. "You know you shouldn't do that-- you'll break your neck one of these days," my mother comments, sending me a look over the dough she is kneading.

I roll my eyes inwardly, sitting opposite her at the massive kitchen counter. I fold my arms on the table, resting my head on them. "You won't believe what I just heard," I say, watching as she kneads the dough.

She raises an eyebrow at me. "You been eavesdropping again, have you?"

"No! Well... Sort of. I heard why Lucas is here: Master Kaleb is in love with him."

She looks at me, her hands momentarily stop. "Really?"

"Yes. Master Stewart gave him a chance with Lucas, because Kaleb is supposedly gay."

Her hands start up again, pulverising the dough once again. "Didn't you know Master Kaleb is only interested in men?”

I frown at her. “I never knew that. Has he always been –”

She nods. “Not always, but for most of his eighteen years, he has been.” She gives a small sigh. “I was there when he first found out. I’ve been there since, too. I’m a mother of three, not two really.” She laughs slightly.

I smile at her. “You’ve been so good to Master Stewart. What would he have done without you, mother, I don’t know.”

She smiles back at me, flicking a piece of dough at me. “Who are you and what have you done to my boy?”

I shrug nonchalantly, hiding my smile from her. I slide out from my chair, go round the table and kiss her cheek, then head up the kitchen steps again. I shout down to her, “I’ll be back in an hour with Lucas’s plate. I’ll do my chores in the meantime.”

I shut the door, then make my way to the gardens to start my work. I wonder if Lucas liked the blossom I set with his food, I think. I hope he did. I wonder what I will find today to give to him…

A/N Haha, this be dedicated to lesliechicas because she gave me Xavier's name ^_^ (he's an important character (mohahahaha)!

Okay... umm, ummm.... o.o thanks for reading, if you are :3

Could chu vote/ comment/ fan.. it'd mean a lot to meh to hear what you guys think <33

soo.... ummm... bye! thanks for reading!

~~Lauren xxx