Ch. 18 - Paper Heart Killer's POV

San Francisco has always held a special place in my heart. There's something about this city that just screams "home" to me even if I'm not always there. With my love of the city, it should come as no surprise that I met both Maggie and Rachel there. My friendships with them didn't quite work out the way I planned, but you know that already.

I thought it would be fun to take a stroll down memory lane. Let's start with Maggie, shall we?

Ah, Maggie. She was so nice and we had so much in common. We liked the same movies, tv shows, books, music. There was always so much to talk about. Hanging out was fun and easy. She was in grad school for physical therapy, but she actually wasn't that busy so she had plenty of time for me. Since her boyfriend, that weasel, Shawn, was working in finance he would often work late into the night. I guess she missed him or whatever, but it worked out fine for me. I got my new best friend all to myself. What could go wrong? Well, I guess you know it went wrong because poor Maggie and Shawn had to go.

For weeks, I could tell Maggie was pulling away from me. She didn't have as much time to hang out with me. Sometimes she had school work, sometimes she had to work an extra shift at the rehab center. That didn't bother me much. Then, one day I caught her in a lie. She told me she had to work late and couldn't go to happy hour with me. Naturally, I followed her. And you know what I learned? She went to happy hour with coworkers across town. I mean, the nerve. How could she just lie to me like that? For all she knew I was at home, bored since she canceled on me and there she is, sipping on her mojito, laughing to the point of tears. But, I decided to let it go and forgive her. What? I'm not a complete monster. But then, she lied to me again and I just couldn't let her get away with it again. It happened about a month later. She told me she had to go to a work function, but I followed her to a restaurant where she met up with Shawn for what looked like a romantic dinner. How could she just lie to me like that? It's incredibly rude and I did not want a friend like that in my life. Aren't liars the worst?

So I had to do what anyone would do. Cut her out of my life. While Shawn wasn't really an issue for me since he was often at work, it just made sense to get rid of him too. It's too bad, because he seemed like a cool guy. We hung out a few times when I went over to their place and he was home. We bonded over our love of the 49ers and Golden State Warriors. That ended when I smashed a crystal vase over his head. I had to kill him after that, but I don't think he would've forgiven me anyway after I assaulted him with a vase.

Maggie was horrified. She was all like, "Oh my god! What are you doing?!" Blah blah blah. Honestly, I thought she was brighter than that. She should've known this was coming. She thought she could lie to me and I'd let her get away with it? The answer is no, in case you aren't keeping up.

After that I took a little breather from San Francisco. When I came back, I befriended Rachel. Oh, Rachel. What can I say about Rachel? She was lovely. We became fast friends and were inseparable. Things were great, until they weren't. I actually liked her husband Matt a lot too and for a moment even considered having him be my new best friend instead of Rachel, but then he was working a lot so I spent most of my time with Rachel. He would've been my first guy best friend and it sort of surprised me that I'd even consider it, but he was really cool and made me feel at ease. But, like I said, he was working a lot so I stuck to Rachel and that was nice too.

I had to pretend to be really into flowers since she worked at a florist shop, which wasn't too bad. It could've been worse. I once had a short lived best friend who was into beekeeping and that was a pain in the ass. It's a bit of a relief that ended because I did not want to keep up with that "hobby". But, I'm getting off topic talking about someone who isn't important. The whole flower thing wasn't too bad. Sure, I had to learn about the gazillion different types of roses, but whatever.