Sweets and Studies- CH20

Start from the beginning

There was a letter inside, inked across stiff, expensive-looking parchment.

Miss Hermione Granger, it read. It has come to my attention that on the night of Samhain, at great personal risk to yourself, you were responsible for saving my niece from a mountain troll that had invaded Hogwarts and dealt her a grievous injury that saw her unable to defend herself. For this, the House of Nott thanks you and acknowledges a favour owed.

Regards,

Torben Nott

Head of the House of Nott

Hermione blinked down at the letter in surprise. "Oh," she said. "Well, um, I'll keep that in mind?"

Theodore nodded stiffly before walking off.

"Purebloods," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I swear, I'll never understand them."

"They're a mystery to us all," Millie agreed.

The two of them made their way to the Great Hall which was abuzz with chatter about the previous night. Wild rumours had spread throughout the student body and while Hermione was relieved nobody seemed to know it was her who had fought the troll, everyone seemed to know someone had fought it and the subsequent rumours were outlandish, including such tales as the troll having been duelled into submission with a conjured sword in one rendition, or having been felled by an Unforgiveable Curse in another.

Hermione and Millie were accosted by Harry, Neville and Ron the moment the three Gryffindors noticed they'd set foot into the Great Hall, the three boys hurrying over to meet them.

"Are you alright?" Neville asked them anxiously. "We heard the Slytherins were attacked by the troll!"

"We're alright," Hermione assured him. "Only one student was injured and she's recovering in the hospital wing."

"What happened?" Harry asked, "everyone's saying all sorts of crazy things."

"Ah," Hermione said, a bit awkwardly, "well..."

"Hermione fought the troll," Millie cut in, "she probably saved Nott's life."

The boys looked at her with wide eyes and Hermione blushed brightly. "I just did what anyone would do!" she protested, firmly believing her words, embarrassed by the awe she could see in the eyes of the three boys.

"How were you not Sorted into Gryffindor?" Ron demanded and Millie actually laughed.

"Weasley," she said, "you should be thanking the gods she wasn't Sorted into Gryffindor– if she was, then nobody would ever see her coming."

::

Life at Hogwarts settled somewhat after the events of Samhain– or Halloween, depending on who was asked– though Hermione's workload certainly hadn't decreased, with all her classwork and her extracurricular studies.

While she searched for a solution to the Barkimedes Problem, Hermione made sure to sneak away every so often to spend time with the poor, lonely cerberus. Barkimedes was so desperate for company he didn't even pretend to growl at her anymore, instead wagging his tail and slobbering all over her, the three heads shoving at each other as they jostled for attention and ear scratches.

It was on one of those occasions where she was with Barkimedes, sitting with one of his large heads on her lap, drool soaking into her dressing gown as she scratched behind one equally large ear, that the door to the forbidden third floor corridor suddenly creaked open. Hermione tensed, her eyes widening in alarm as she prepared to find herself face to face with a no doubt furious professor, only to exhale loudly with relief when twin heads of red hair poked their way around the cautiously half-open door.