Chapter 25: The Dragon

Start from the beginning

"We've heard the stories," Weequay answers for the villagers, earning a few nods in agreement.

"Then you know how good they are at killin'," Cobb goes on. It creates a tension in the room as they look to Din. When they also look to you and the baby, however, you notice some confusion on their faces—as if the image of this Mandalorian holding hands with you while you hold a little green baby contradicts exactly what Cobb's just said. "Now, this one's got a problem." Din looks back over to Cobb at that, his free hand rising to rest on his belt as you also look at the Marshal. "I got a suit o' salvaged armor and the Mandalorian Creed says it's his to take."

This statement causes obvious distress amongst the villagers. You narrow your eyes at them, earning a squeeze from Din's hand. When you turn to look at him, he tilts his helmet slightly at you, as if to tell you that it's all right and you don't need to get protective. Still, you bristle more than before, raising a wary brow at the villagers as you draw yourself a little closer to Din's side.

"But I've got a problem, too," Cobb says. "A krayt dragon has been peelin' off our pack animals, and sometimes, takin' our mining haul with it." He pauses, looking at the villagers seriously before continuing. "It's just a matter of time before it grows tired of banthas and goes after a couple of you townsfolk—or even, so help us, the school."

There's another murmuring of panic at that, the villagers shaking their heads in remorse at the idea of the dragon hurting their children. It even makes you pull the baby closer into your side, his little hand taking a hold of your thumb in a way that makes you smile widely down at him.

"As much as I've grown fond of the armor," Cobb adds, "I'm even more fond of this town." He pauses and takes a quick breath. "The Mandalorian is willing to help us slay the leviathan in exchange for returning the armor to its ancestral owners."

The people start to nod at that, looking upon Din with kinder eyes now as they agree. "Well, that settles it," Weequay insists, earning other mumbles of agreement.

"There's more," Cobb remarks. He takes a deeper breath this time before he continues. "We can't take on the krayt alone... and the Sand People are willing to help."

Instantly, the villagers start to protest, some even standing from their places as they wave their arms about in an angered manner. "They raid our mines!" one angry man exclaims, banging his fist upon a table to emphasize his point.

"They're monsters! " Weequay adds, his words instantly making you stiffen alongside Din. You can feel the heat of anger brewing up inside you—especially upon remembering the kind and gentle way the Tuskens had welcomed you and Din into their camp the other night—and almost begin to speak. Yet, Din squeezes your hand before you can, causing you to look over at him as he gives you a nod. You immediately understand what he's saying, releasing his hand to let him step forward.

"I've seen the size of that thing," Din informs the villagers, making them all fall quiet as their eyes look upon him. "It'll swallow your entire town when the fancy hits it. You're lucky Mos Pelgo isn't a sand field already."

Din pauses and looks over at you, as if seeking your approval or judgment. You give him a nod and a small smile, encouraging him to keep going as he turns his helmet back to face the villagers.

"I know these people," Din continues. "They are brutal. But so is the Dune Sea. They've survived for thousands of years in these sands and they know the krayt dragon better than anyone here. They are raiders, it's true. But they also keep their word." Din pauses, looking around the crowd before he goes on. "We have struck a deal. If we're willing to leave them the carcass and its ichor, they will stand by our side in battle and vow never to raise a blaster against this town until one of you breaks the peace."