Chapter 48: The Storm

chapter 48: the storm •••

Din lands the starfighter inside the palace's hangar with ease, but you haven't torn your gaze away from your surroundings. You had heard much about Jabba's rule here during your time on Tatooine and never once did you think you'd ever find yourself within his palace walls. Bounty hunters used to threaten to bring you there before you got the upper hand in your fights against them. That's a detail Din doesn't have to know. He'll take you as far away from this place as possible if he finds out, and you're just as eager to help Boba Fett as he is. It took a lot of convincing on the flight here just to get Din to let you assist him in the job and you don't want to jeopardize that.

You and Din make your way out of the ship with a drowsy Zora strapped to your chest. Your hand supports her head as Din helps you to the sandy floor. You're greeted by a Gamorrean guard who speaks to you in his language. The sight of him reminds you of your run-in with Gor Karesh, who had led you to Tatooine the last time you were here.

"We're here at the request of Fennec Shand," Din says.

The Gamorrean nods and turns to lead you both into the palace. Din's helmet turns to you as he sets a hand upon your back.

"You look nervous." Din's voice is hushed, an attempt to keep his words between the two of you.

You shrug and let yourself draw closer to his side. "I've just heard a lot of things about this place."

"Fett is nothing like Jabba." Din nods at you. "You're safe."

You look at him and smile. "I know."

The two of you remain silent while you follow the guard to the throne room. You're surprised to see that Boba and Fennec aren't the only people awaiting you. There's a handful of others, including a black-haired Wookie and a young group of people with droid-like modifications, all gathered around a large hologram. You and Din share a look before you step up to Fennec.

"Welcome," Fennec says with a grin. "You're just in time for the briefing."

"Great." Din surveys the room. "Are these people trustworthy to you?"

Fennec nods. "They've sworn their loyalty to us."

Din looks at Fennec again. "Then you can introduce me by name to show them that they can trust me, too." You look at him with disbelief as he offers his name. "Din Djarin."

"You got it." Fennec shifts her gaze to you. "Would you like me to use your full title for your introduction?"

You continue to gaze at Din as you nod. "Yeah." Your head turns to Fennec. "We don't have any secrets to keep."

Fennec gestures to the hologram at the center of the room. "Then you may join the briefing."

Din's visor focuses on someone in the room. "There's just one introduction we have to make before you start."

Fennec doesn't stop you and Din takes that as his invitation to go on. He guides you over to a man who wears the same armor Cobb Vanth once had, though it's been refurbished. The man has a familiar face, one you saw many times both on and off Arilia during the Clone Wars. There's no mistaking who he must be: the son of Jango Fett.

"Fett." Din reaches forward to shake Boba's hand. Boba returns the gesture and nods at him. Din sets his hand upon your back again. "This is my wife, Astra, and our daughter, Zora."

You smile at the title he gives you and reach a hand out towards Boba. "It's an honor to finally meet you, Boba. I can't thank you enough for what you did to rescue the child and I from Moff Gideon."

Boba lifts your hand and kisses your knuckles. "The honor's all mine, princess." He pauses and looks between you and Din. "Or do you not prefer that title any longer?"