Chapter 25: The Dragon

chapter 25: the dragon •••

The next day, you're already headed back to Mos Pelgo, having convened with the Tuskens after seeing the krayt dragon's lair. Din had already caught you up on the plans you'd missed the night before—through many kisses, as is Din's most effective way to communicate in the mornings—and now, you're prepared to recruit the villagers' help to make this takedown possible.

It's like Sorgan all over again.

And in every way for you, too. That dread you'd faced during that time leading up to the attack of the raiders is no different than the one you face now. There's a feeling of fear that fills you nearly to the brim, causing your grip on Din's middle to be even tighter than usual as you ride back to Mos Pelgo.

"Something wrong, cyar'ika? " Din asks you loud enough to be heard over the rushing wind but quiet enough to keep it between you and him. You can see his wrists adjust on the handles in an anxious manner.

You release a gentle sigh, not wanting to worry Din but also not wanting to lie to him as you rest your chin atop the clothed part of his shoulder. "Remember Sorgan, the first time?" you ask, earning a nod before you elaborate. "We would have those talks before the fight, and I always talked about how I was afraid of something changing."

"Yeah, I remember," Din agrees, freeing one hand from the bike quickly to brush it over yours. "You're not afraid of something changing again, are you? Because that won't happen."

"No." You're quick to refute Din's words as you sink your teeth into your lower lip, trying to think of how you can possibly describe your feelings in a way that'll make sense. "I... I'm not sure what I'm afraid of, Din. But I have a bad feeling about all this."

"I'm sure it'll be all right, riduur ." Din leans back in an attempt to touch part of his helmet to your head. "We happen to be pretty damn good at helping villages out."

You laugh at that, shaking your head in amazement at the way Din's able to rid you of at least some of the heavy dread that sits on your shoulders. You'd say more if you weren't already rolling into town, where Cobb's started to tell you more about the past tensions between Mos Pelgo and the Tuskens.

"They attacked us less than a year ago," Cobb explains, pulling his makeshift speeder over and to a halt as he looks over at you and Din. "Killed half a dozen of us by the mining camp." Cobb pauses, sitting back in his seat and looking ahead with a gaze that's nearly full of guilt. "I'd say I took down about twice as many Tuskens." He then stands and gets off of his speeder, a worried look fixed on his features in a way that makes you and Din share a look of concern.

"The town respects you," Din insists, earning Cobb's attention for a moment. "My guess is, they'll listen to reason."

"And strong leadership," you add, and Din nods in agreement.

Cobb knocks his fist against the speeder with a raised brow, looking between the two of you with doubt. "I wouldn't be so sure," Cobb remarks, walking away to gather everyone into the cantina. You and Din share another look before you get off the bike, taking the baby in your arms as you walk alongside Din towards the cantina.

Within just a few minutes, the entire town is packed inside, murmuring nervously amongst themselves as Cobb stands before them. You and Din stand just behind him, your free hand tight in his as you look out at the villagers. Din's become much better about letting you show affection in such a way in public—only in places where he knows it's safe. Evidently, Mos Pelgo isn't a threat to him.

"This here is a Mandalorian," Cobb finally begins, gesturing to Din in a way that makes everyone stare. You can hear the light breath Din takes, his helmet turning towards you in an almost shy manner. You give his gloved hand a quick squeeze. "You know what that means?"