Chapter 17: The Confrontation

chapter 17: the confrontation •••

Din's punching in the coordinates for your next planet as you and Cara sit in the hull, the child waddling around as usual. You see Cara's eyes following him fondly, and you smile as you feel a soft twinge in your heart. You hadn't realized how much you missed Cara's companionship until she was a part of the crew again. It seems that she's sensed your stare, since her gaze soon shifts from the child to you.

"You look happier," Cara observes, and your cheeks heat up as you hold her gaze. "Let me guess: he finally told you the truth?"

You raise an eyebrow. "The truth?"

Cara rolls her eyes playfully, letting out a soft laugh. "About his feelings."

"Oh!—yeah, he did. We both did." You give her a soft smile as you nod earnestly.

"Good," Cara reflects, still smiling at you. "Now I don't have to pretend you're not a thing when you really are. It was hard back in the village, you know."

You shrug. "We both knew. We just didn't want to be... I don't know, hasty about our decision."

Cara nods. "Understandable. I'm just happy for you two, really. You both could really use somebody."

You bite back another smile as you look at your hands, watching them play with each other. You try to swallow back your dark thoughts at what could happen in the near future to ruin the bliss you've been experiencing with Din thus far. "Thank you," you finally respond, looking back up at Cara just as you hear Din climbing down the ladder from the cockpit. Cara instantly looks at him with a raised brow, just to watch him tap something on his wrist and see the armory doors fly open.

"Pick one," Din urges, and Cara's eyes shine as she views the wide array of options. She reaches for a few of the weapons, tossing them in her hands and testing out their grips.

"You got options," Cara observes, giving Din an impressed look. She then lets out a soft breath, still looking through the armory as she speaks. "Now, tell me more about this plan. You trust the contact?"

"Not particularly," Din remarks. "He and I had a run-in last time I was there on some Guild business."

Cara stops observing the weapons to give Din a concerned look, exhaling gently as she finally continues. "So then why are we going?"

Din sighs. "We don't have a choice. You saw what happened on Sorgan. They'll keep sending hunters." Din pauses, his visor turning to you—something you know Cara hasn't noticed. "The kid will never be safe until the Imp is dead." Your face gets warm as you try to give him a look of comfort, knowing what his gaze at you is trying to say: And they'll keep coming after her, too.

"And you're okay with bringing him back there?" Cara says, giving Din a questioning look.

"Not really. That's why we're bringing you. And the Ugnaught."

Cara looks at Din curiously. "Ugnaught?"

"He helped me. On Arvala-7, when I first got the kid. I think he can help us look after him while we execute the plan—and give us backup should the contact try to pull anything."

Cara gives him a nod. "Good idea. We can use all the help we can get."

You hum in agreement, reining the child back in by holding him in your arms. You look down to see his big eyes staring at you, letting out an affectionate coo as he weaves his tiny hand inside yours. You give one of his long ears a soft stroke as you smile at him. Your attachment to the child has grown steadily ever since you'd first joined Din's crew—and now you're certain you'll do anything to keep him safe.