Chapter 50: Sokovia

Start from the beginning

But she actually trusted Tony to choose for her, since he had quite a fine taste in fashion when it came to suits and Katya really liked his taste in cars. So she told him to go wild. Not too wild, of course, the main color of her suit would still be black.

The result of it was that her and Natasha were now wearing the exact same outfit, but with different subtle lines of color. Where the seams of Natasha's combat suit were a light blue - according to Tony it was a nod to her electric Widow Bites - Katya sported a deep green color. Like the forest on a foggy winter's morning or the color of Natasha's eyes. 

For Katya, it was kind of suiting because the building she grew up in had been surrounded by forest and she found it had always calmed her to look out the dirty windows into the see of trees. It was lonely to be disconnected from the world, but she held comfort in the fact that the woods had to end somewhere, had to run into a city or village eventually. 

She was pulled out of her thoughts by a pair of legs stopping in front of her and she followed them up to see the face they belonged to, uncovering one ear to hear something. ''Five minutes till landing.'' Steve always had a kind look in his eyes, although this might have to do with the fact that he had been calling her name for the last minute and she hadn't heard him.

''Copy that, Captain.''

''And turn down your music, I could hear it through Stark's rambling.'' Steve smiled as he waited for Tony to jump into the conversation. Whatever it was about, Stark could never refrain himself from protecting his own name. And the fact that he reacted so funny only made it more fun for the others. 

Katya smirked, seeing Tony's head snap to the two as he was putting his suit on. ''Why do you think it's so loud?''

''Hey, watch it Petrova.'' His metal finger pointed at her in warning, while the others around them were already smiling. ''Have you forgotten whose building you live in?''

''I will only ever leave that building if I get that Audi from your garage.'' She was staring into the distance like she was dreaming about the beautiful car, overacting the whole thing like a child thinking about a unicorn. 

His eyes turn big in fear. ''Not the R8?''

''Oh, yes the R8,'' she smiled deviously. ''The orange one with the ridiculous number plate.'' 'Stark 65', like anyone needed a reminder. 

''You will never get it,'' he also spoke like an angry child fearfully holding his piece of candy to his chest. ''But if you want a car, I will buy you one. Just not my R8.''

Katya shrugged unbothered. ''Alright, I saw a half-a-million dollar McLaren the other day that really spoke to me.''

Tony stopped fiddling with his suit and turned his eyes on her again, already fearing for the amount of money he had to spend on a car for her. ''Not the 600LT?''

''Oh yes, the orange one.''

Steve's head was swinging back and forth between Katya and Stark as they were talking about these cars he had never heard of with speeds he still couldn't imagine. Back in his time, cars were bulky and slow, not the race monsters they are nowadays. 

''Fine,'' Tony eventually sighed, afraid of losing his precious car, ''Consider it a Christmas gift.''

''It's April.''

''Every day is Christmas when you're Tony Stark.''

Steve leaned in between the two pilot seats with big eyes, unsure of what he had just witnessed. ''They're joking, right?'' He asked Natasha, who was smiling at the conversation happening behind her.