Epilogue

The water rushed on the shore, wind rattling the leaves of the palm trees softly. A warm breeze tickled Katya's nose, the white curtains next to the open window flowing in the wind. If peace was a place, this was it.

A smile pulled on her lips, eyes closed against the bright sun as she reached out next to her, only for her hand to fall onto empty sheets.

Katya groaned softly. Natasha hadn't woken her up when she got out, instead leaving a note on her pillow. ''Went for a swim''

She debated going back to sleep, but her stomach growled and she didn't want to sleep the entire day and leave Natasha on her own.

So Katya threw the covers off, pulled on an oversized shirt and with her bare feet on the smooth wooden floor, wandered to the small kitchen. The clock on the wall read 10 AM, which wasn't a first for this holiday. Sleeping in hadn't been on her calendar for a long time and she wasn't the biggest fan, but somehow she found herself curled up in bed that long.

Throwing a simple sandwich together and brewing two cups of coffee, Katya balanced all of it in her arms and stepped outside, squinting her eyes against the bright sunlight. 

The small wooden porch of the cabin was cute and had nice places to sit, but Katya sat on the small steps instead, looking out over the beach and the endless ocean. 

It wasn't hard to spot Natasha. Even when wet, her hair was bright as a lighthouse. Of course she knew she was being watched, but Katya had enough time to eat her sandwich and drink half her coffee before Natasha came out. 

Katya couldn't help it, she had to stare at her amazing body. The curves, the muscles, only a black bikini covering her up. Water dripped down her hair and stomach, leaving Katya completely mesmerized. Only when she came closer, the scars became visible. And if you had known her as long as Katya had, you could tell exactly what story belonged to which one.

They were part of her, just like they were part of Katya. They made them unique and special because a scar meant you survived. 

''Like what you see?'' Natasha teased her, pulling Katya out of her daydream. Not bothering to cover up, she sat next to her on the steps, gratefully accepting the mug she got offered. 

Katya hummed. ''Very much. Thank you for that.'' 

Natasha just chuckled and rolled her eyes. She looked more relaxed than ever, away from the world for a bit. For the first time in a while, she could enjoy herself freely without worrying about any problems. 

Katya had to admit, is was weird at first to see her in this setting. Their lives had always been about nothing more than work, no time for relaxation. So Natasha on a beach in her swimsuit? No, she had never pictured that happening.

 ''Steve was right though,'' she piped up after a short silence between them. 

Natasha glanced away from the sea. She had been doing that a lot, staring at it. Maybe it gave her a sense of calmness. ''About what?''

''You look terrible in bikinis,'' Katya smirked, hoping she got the reference.

First Natasha looked offended, but her quick brain found what Katya aimed for, her eyes lighting up in humor. ''Oh, shut up,'' she laughed, gently shoving Katya's shoulder. 

The brunette hadn't been into the sea at all, which wasn't a surprise for anyone. She sat on the sand, in the sun, watching her wife disappear in the waves, and that was more than enough for her. Natasha had gotten her to dip her toes in a couple times, but never pressed her for more. Water would always be a hurdle, something that could trigger the worst of nightmares.