Chapter 69: Does It Ever End?

With her head held high and her back straight, Katya marched into the hall after Natasha. She made sure not to look arrogant or dangerous, but confident and approachable. The polite smile on her lips was not entirely fake, but it did take effort to keep it genuine. 

None of these politicians and important world leaders intimidated her, but they did make her slightly nervous. She wasn't here because she agreed with the Accords. She simply wanted to show them she wasn't the bad guy. Because no matter how powerful the assassin was, they had the power to lock her up, hunt her down and limit her freedom. 

Now, she wasn't here because she agreed with the Accords, but simply to show them she wasn't the bad guy.

The room was big, with all the rows of tables curved around the main podium, a pulpit for the speaker. There must have been hundreds of people. Journalists, translators, politicians, all eyeing one another and talking loudly. 

''Excuse me, Miss Romanoff?'' A staff member had walked up to the duo, addressing the redhead first because she was in front and was probably more loved around here. The woman who had approached them was a bit intimidated, but did her best to smile kindly.

''Yes?'' Natasha asked just as politely, clasping her hands in front of her body. It was interesting to see how much her stance changed in different situations. Right there, she was no longer the deadly assassin from the training room or the loving fiancée from the compound. She was also not the Black Widow or an Avenger. Just Natasha.

The staff member presented a clipboard. ''These need your signature.'' Natasha picked up the pen and signed quickly. Katya scribbled down her name after checking to make sure she wasn't secretly signing the Accords but just a confirmation of attendance. ''Thank you,'' the other brunette smiled and took off just as quickly as she came, looking for the next people on her list.

What an amazing life if the only thing you had to worry about was collecting signatures.

''I suppose none of us is used to the spotlight.''

An accented voice made both Russians spin around. Prince T'Challa from Wakanda stood behind them, smiling his white teeth easily. Guilt flowed through Katya at the sight of him, knowing they had killed his compatriots, but she pushed it down.

Natasha chuckled, shaking her red hair over her shoulder. ''Oh, well, it's not always so flattering,'' she answered for Katya too. Her tone was light and slightly coy. She was trying to win him over.

''You seem to be doing alright so far,'' the man answered smugly, looking back and forth between the slightly smaller women. ''Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill, I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company.''

''Well, we're not,'' Natasha admitted, glancing at Katya. They kept being reminded of that day. Maybe it hadn't been so smart afterwards, but at the time it had been very satisfying to mouth off the Senators. Fury couldn't be there, but he had called later to say how much he had enjoyed it. 

T'Challa hummed approvingly. ''That alone makes me glad you're here.''

Katya furrowed her eyebrows, unsure why he would say that. ''Why? You don't approve of all this?''

''The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred.''

She had to agree with him there. 

Loud footsteps alerted her a man came walking up from behind. His arm brushed along Katya's, making her cringe, but when she saw who it was, she relaxed. ''Unless you need to move a piano.''

''Father,'' T'Challa greeted the King of Wakanda in his own language. Not a language Katya knew, since the country was so exclusive and there was little information about the language.