031. the turning point

Start from the beginning

"Oh," he smiled. "Thanks, I decided to grow it."

"Yeah, I can see," she pointed. "You've got it tied into a bun, it suits you."

Dream laughed lightly.

"God," Malak lay her chin on the palm of her hand, a stupid grin on her face. "I love it when you laugh."

Dream's giggles died down as his mind stumbled to a halt. "What?" he asked.

"I'm not kidding," Malak replied. "It's just so bright and warm and— oddly comforting."

Dream glanced away.

"Malak?"

"Hm?"

"When's the last time you had a good night's rest?" Dream asked, watching her nose scrunch up.

"What do you mean?" She frowned. "We slept on call a few hours ago."

Dream remained silent.

"Why are you asking me this?" She narrowed her eyes at him. "Is it because I complimented your hair?"

"I— No?" Dream stammered. "It has nothing to do with my hair!"

"Then what is it?" She teased him. "Have you never been complimented? Are you flustered?"

"Flustered—!" He scoffed, swallowing hard. "It's just a bit weird, you've never complimented me before."

At least not in that way.

"Really! Have I never?" Malak hummed. "Oh well," she shrugged, "there's a first time for everything."

Dream kept quiet.

"Don't you have plans or something?" She asked. "I mean, it isn't as late in Florida as it's here."

"Well, unlike you," he began, "I rather stay at home than go out. And yes, I do have friends."

Malak snorted.

"Okay, monsieur I do have friends," she snickered and Dream blushed. "I just find it hard to believe that you prefer staying at home than heading out."

"What can I say?" he shrugged, leaning back in his seat. "There's a lot more to me than you know."

"Oh?" Malak inquired, tilting her head ever so slightly. "I didn't know that. It isn't like I flew out all the way to meet you, George, and Nick. Me? Never."

Dream shook his head and smiled. "You're unbelievable," he stated.

"Unbelievably funny," she corrected him. "Anyways—"

Yells erupted from the neighboring room.

"What was that?" Dream asked, amused.

"The twins most probably got impostor together, again," she sighed. "As I was saying—"

Malak jumped as the door to her room suddenly slammed open, dropping her phone in the process, leaving Dream staring at the ceiling and Malak looking annoyed at whoever stood at her door.