Chapter 9

Colby struggled against the chains

Colby struggled against the chains. He tried pulling as hard as he could, but no matter what he did, the chains wouldn't budge. He attempted to push himself, to use his power. Colby felt like he had tried a billion times. He had been at this for hours, but he had to get out. His eyes turned white once again as he pulled as hard as he could against the chains.

"C'mon!" he shouted. "C'MON!!" Colby sighed in defeat as his eyes went back to normal and he felt his body go limp once again. He was painting hard.

"Sam, I'm so sorry," said Colby to himself. "I should've gone with you."

Just then Colby felt the end of the chain budge. He shot his head towards it. Colby was confused for a second, but then it hit him. He shut his eyes tightly, and thought about his brother. His white eyes shot open, as he attempted to pull, harder and harder. He thought back to those moments. His brothers voice echoing in his head.

"It wasn't your fault Colby; I'm the one that pushed you."

He felt part of the chain snap. It was working.

"I'm just so happy for you."

Colby could feel himself getting stronger than ever before, like a newfound strength within him. The chains began to budge.

"You won't hurt me, okay? I trust you."

"We'll get through this, together."

"Colby, look at me. I'm here."

"I love you Colbs."

With all his strength, Colby pulled at the chains and stumbled forward as the chains finally broke. Colby steadied himself against the wall. He had done it. He finally understood.

Colby felt better than he had ever felt, he looked to his hands and saw the frost, he waved his hand and watched the blizzard form at his command. He shot his hand up to the sky and watched as ice shot from it, erupting into a snowy firework above him, firing ice shards in every direction with perfect aim, he had finally done it. Colby smiled proudly.

"It's him," thought Colby. "This whole time, it was him, he's my control. It all makes sense now. Leaving didn't make things better, it made things worse. How could I have been so blind?"

He finally had control and he knew what he had to do, and without wasting anymore time, he rushed back to the kingdom quickly, his feet carrying him faster than ever before, but still not fast enough. He stormed down the trail and skidded to a stop when he came upon Kat's log cabin. Then an idea struck him, he rushed to the stable, praying she had left her horse. He spotted the white horse and threw open the latch to the gate. The horse backed away startled and Colby approached with caution. He petted the creature on the nose.

"There we go, it's okay," he said.

The horse calmed down having recognized the boy, and Colby mounted the horse quickly and took off immediately towards his kingdom, his people, his family, his control.