Chapter 5

Colby woke up the next morning feeling well rested

Colby woke up the next morning feeling well rested. He quietly packed up his things and slipped out the cabin door.

"Are you really gonna leave without saying good-bye?" asked Kat.

"Thank you for your hospitality, but I should really be on my way," said Colby.

"Where you headed?" asked Kat.

"I don't really know," replied Colby.

"Well, I'm not about to let you sprain an ankle by tripping over more roots," she laughed. "Why don't I come with you until you find a place to settle? I know the forest well."

"I don't think that's a very good idea," replied Colby.

"Is it because you're different?" asked Kat.

"It's hard to explain," replied Colby.

Before Kat could respond, she turned when she heard commotion coming from the stable. Her eyes went wide.

"Kiwi!!" she shouted.

Colby raced to the stable along with her, when they arrived, they watched as Kiwi attempted to flee from a pack of coyotes that had found their way into the stable. Kat grabbed a shovel and swung towards the coyotes, and they advanced on her instead. She stumbled and fell back as the coyotes advanced, she shielded her face, and braced for impact when she heard the coyotes whimper.

They backed away in fear and ran from the stable as icicles were scattered across the stable, surrounding the spot where they had once been. Kat looked behind her and was shocked when she saw Colby. He looked different, his eyes were white and his hands were now covered in frost. She stood up slowly, just as Colby returned back to normal. He looked at Kat, she had a shocked expression on her face.

"I told you I was different," said Colby.

"Yea, no kidding," replied Kat. "How did you do that?"

"I don't know," he replied. "I can't control it. It's an involuntary reaction."

Kat turned when she heard Kiwi whine. She rushed to her and gently patted her nose. "Thank you, you saved her," she said.

"It was nothing," Colby replied. "I understand if you don't wanna come with me anymore."

"Believe me, I can handle myself," replied Kat.

"I can't promise I won't hurt you," said Colby.

"Is that why you left?" asked Kat.

"Yes," replied Colby.

Kat sighed and smiled at Colby. "Well, maybe we can figure things out together," she said.

"Are you sure?" asked Colby

"I've always wanted an adventure," she replied.

"Alright then, let's get going," said Colby.

Sam walked through the halls of the palace, the doors having been sealed ever since the night of the coronation, but news travelled fast. Even days after Colby left, people were still talking about him. It angered Sam to hear people call his brother a monster and a coward for leaving and abandoning his people.

Everyone was now looking to Sam to be king, but people were even hesitant with him, believing their bloodline to be cursed. It took everything in Sam not to go after his brother. He wanted too so bad, but his uncle convinced him to stay, if he left, the kingdom would be without a ruler, and that's the last thing they needed.

"Sam, have you decided?" asked his uncle, walking up to him.

"I don't want the throne," replied Sam annoyed. "It's not mine to take."

"Someone has to look out for this kingdom," explained Elton.

"And that someone is Colby," replied Sam.

"Sam, you promised him," said his uncle.

"I said I'd look out for them," explained Sam, "and bringing Colby back is the best way to do that."

"Sam, what if you both die out there?" asked his uncle. "Then who will rule this kingdom?"

"Colby will die if I don't find him," said Sam. "Uncle Elton, please?"

Elton sighed in defeat. He gestured for Sam to come with him. Sam followed him outside to the stables and Elton brought him out one of the royal horses.

"I will give you 2 days," said Elton. "If by then you don't find him, promise me you'll come back?"

"I promise," said Sam, hugging his uncle. "Thank you." Sam mounted the horse. "Take care of things while I'm gone."

"Absolutely," replied Elton. "And Sam?" Sam looked towards his uncle. "Take care of your brother."

"I always do," replied Sam happily as he took off quickly towards the gates of the castle.

Colby and Kat had stopped to rest and she had managed to convince Colby to try his powers again. He was practicing aiming and he still needed lots of work.

"Ughhh, I don't understand why I can't get this," said Colby frustrated.

"You will," said Kat. "Just keep trying."

Colby tried again, getting the same result as before. He groaned in defeat and sat on the firm ground.

"Just think about how powerful you'll be once you get it under control," said Kat, sitting beside him.

"I'm not sure I ever will," replied Colby.

"We can't give up, c'mon," she said, extending her hand to help him up.

"Where are we going?" asked Colby, taking her hand.

"The north mountain," she replied.

Colby and Kat walked towards the mountain. It was a steep climb, but nothing Colby wasn't used to. Once they reached the peak, Colby was able to see a palace on the horizon. A palace made of ice.

"What is this place?" asked Colby.

"Not sure," said Kat. "It's completely abandoned though. It's been sitting here for like 7 years. What better way to learn how to control ice, than in a palace made of ice!!"

"It's worth a shot," said Colby.

"C'mon then," replied Kat, leading him to the staircase.

"Have you been here before?" asked Colby.

"Not really," she started. "I mean I've never gone inside."

They both walked up the icy staircase, careful not to slip. They pushed the door open, it was cold to the touch. Colby stepped through and looked at it in awe.

"Pretty amazing, huh?" asked Kat.

"Yeah," replied Colby. "I feel like I can finally breathe up here."

"Good, then this is the perfect place to get a grasp on your powers," said Kat.