Chapter 12

"Your majesty," said a voice

Sam and Colby turned to face two guards marching Kat and Brennen over to them. Their hands chained behind their backs.

"Shall we take them to the dungeon your majesty?" asked Aaron.

"No," replied Colby. "Put them on a ship, we'll send them to a land far from here. One where they're not known, where they can start over."

Both Brennen and Kat looked at him in surprise. "Why would you do that?" asked Kat.

"I truly am sorry for what happened to your parents," explained Colby, "and for all the pain that I've caused you. The least I can do is give you both a chance at the life that you deserve. I believe in second chances; we shall give you one."

"That's very kind of you," said Kat.

"Ready the ship," said Colby to Corey.

"Yes, your majesty," he replied.

The guards took Kat and Brennen down to the ships docked near the fjord. They were both leaning over the side of the massive ship, when Colby and a girl walked aboard. Kat and Brennen walked towards them.

"This is Devyn. She's the captain of this ship," started Colby. "I assure you that you'll be well taken care of on this journey with her, she's one of the best we have."

"It's very nice to meet you both," she said extending her hand for them to shake.

"I'm Brennen," he said, happily shaking her hand.

She turned towards Kat next. Kat was glowing, her eyes wide and she had a giant, genuine smile across her face.

"Hi! I'm uh, I'm awkward," Kat stuttered. "I mean my name's not awkward, it's Kat, I meant this is awkward. Not You. Me, I'm being awkward. You're gorgeous. Wait what?"

Devyn giggled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Thank you Kat. That's very nice of you," she said, smiling back at the girl.

They both stared at each other smiling, when Devyn spoke first. "Well, we should probably get going," she said.

"Yes, we probably should," agreed Kat. She watched Devyn walk to the wheel of the ship.

Brennen lightly punched Kat's arm. "Real smooth," he laughed.

"Shut up," she laughed back.

Colby stepped aside as Sam gently led a white horse onto the ship.

"Kiwi!" said Katrina happily. She ran to her horse and leaned her forehead against the creature's nose. Smiling happily. Sam turned to leave.

"Sam?" said Katrina. He turned back to look at her. She paused. "Thank you," she said. Sam smiled and nodded to her.

"Thank you both," said Brennen.

"Safe journey," said Colby.

Sam and Colby watched from the gates as the ship sailed into the distance across the fjord, into the sunrise.

Sam turned his gaze to Colby. "I'm proud of you," he said.

"Thanks," replied Colby. "But I couldn't have done it without you. I'm sorry I left."

" You did what you had to," said Sam. "It all worked out in the end. I think this calls for a celebration."

"I agree," said Colby.

Colby raised his hands and froze part of the fjord once again, creating a beautiful ice rink. He was confident it would hold this time. He watched as many of their people happily came out of the castle gates, wearing skates and bundled up. They all skated together, laughing and smiling happily.

Many of the small children were gathered around Colby, he knelt down to them, and they happily examined his frost covered hands and arms.

"Pretty!" said one of the little girls, beaming.

Colby twisted his hand and formed a snowflake in his palm and blew it towards them, he watched as they happily chased after it laughing. He then stood up, ready to join his people on the ice, skates on his feet. He looked towards the edge of the fjord and saw Sam standing there. He skated over to him.

"What are you doing?" asked Colby.

"Colbs, you know I can't skate," said Sam.

"You'll be fine, I'll help you," said Colby.

"I'll fall flat on my face and humiliate myself," laughed Sam.

"You won't. Trust me," said Colby, extending his hands towards Sam.

Sam grabbed his brother's hands and Colby pulled him gently onto the ice. He stumbled a little, but Colby caught him, slowly leading him across the ice. They both smiled and laughed, skating happily among their people.