Memory

Memory

            I opened my eyes to find myself in a barley lit room. The air felt dense. I saw the I.V. in both of my arms and then remembered what happened. My back was hurting, but now, it just feels sore.

            I put my hand on the button but stopped when my eyes caught my name written in messy handwriting on a folded piece of paper.

            For some reason I felt a bad aurora coming off of it. I didn’t want to open it, but something told me I had too. Slowly, I reached over to the bedside table and picked it up.

            ‘Dear Memory,

                  Do you remember when we were kids and I fell off the swing and broke my arm, and you thought I had to get it amputated then said to let me have yours. Well, that’s kind of what happened with you, except, it wasn’t with arms. Memory, you were having kidney failure. Both of your kidneys were giving up on you. I don’t know how, but it must of some how ran in your birth parents family. Your foster parents were heart broken, as was I. I knew I couldn’t let you die.’ The tears I was holding back fell down onto the piece of paper smudging some of the words. ‘I love you. I loved everything about you. Please, after you finish reading this note, don’t do anything reckless. I saved you cause you are a beautiful creature Memory. You’re one of a kind. Rare things must continue living. Moving forward. Forgetting.

                  Knowing you, you’ll probably blame yourself for this, but you shouldn’t. Be proud. I’m with my mom. Keep living. Keep dreaming. Keep smiling. I love that. I don’t ever want to see you not smile.

                                                                        Until we meet again,

                                                                                       Alexander.’