Xander

Xander

            After I made my decision, the doctor came back, holding a yellowish folder in his hands. He had a plain look on his face as he made his way over.

            “Well?” I asked, standing up.

            “According the results,” he paused. “You’re a match for Memory Ackera.”

            I froze. “R-Really?”

            “Yes.”

            “Wait- his kidney is a match for my daughter?” her father said, finding it a bit relieving.

            “Yes.”

            “Okay,” I said, standing straighter. “When do we do this?”

            “I’m afraid to tell you this, but we can’t proceed with the surgery.”

            “What? Why?”

            “In order for you to donate your kidney to Ms. Ackera, your parent, or guardian would need to sign paper work.”

            It felt like an entire millennium went by before I talked again. “Is there, a easier way?” I spoke slowly.

            “I’m afraid not.”

            I stared at the paperwork for a short while, then decided to take it. I have to make this right.

            “I’ll be back.” I said as I started walking towards the exit doors.

                        *                                              *                                              *

            I ran all the way back to my house, only to find my dad knocked out on the couch, as he held an empty bottle in his hands.

            “Great,” I mumbled.

            Walking over to him, I felt uneasy. I never did wake my dad up from something I needed; only because he never seemed to care. I shook him once, twice, three times, and still nothing. His loud snores echoed in the room.

            “Dad, wake up.” Nothing. “Dad!” Something. He slowly opened his crusty eyes, and looked at me.

            “The hell do you want?”

            “I need you to sign something.”

            “What?”

            I haven’t even thought about it before. If I told my dad that I’m going into surgery, he would say it would cost too much money and not sign the paperwork. New plan.

            “I-I got caught skipping class and got a detention. The teacher wanted you to sign at the bottom to make sure that I took this home and told you.”

            “You woke me up all because of a damn detention slip?”

            I didn’t answer. I slowly looked down at the ground wishing mom was here with us. Things would be better, fuller, happier.

            “Hand me the sheet.” He said rubbing his eyes.

            With surprise, I looked up. It worked. He didn’t even read it. He gave it back to me and there it was. The sweet, lovely signature that I have never been more happy to see.

            “Thanks.” I said quietly.

            “Yea whatever. Now leave me alone. I’m busy.”           

                        *                                              *                                              *

            “Your dad actually signed the papers?” her father said in surprise.

            “Yea, he read everything, and asked if I really wanted to do this, and I said yes.”

            “This is accurate hand writing for sure.” The doctor said coming back into the waiting room holding the paperwork.

            “So, can we do it now?”

            “Aren’t you a bit scared of what you’re about to go through?” He asked.

            “Well, yea. But what I’m mostly scared about is losing her. I wouldn’t want to live in a world when I have no one else I love.”

            With four eyes staring me down, I looked back at all of them, knowing I had a positive and brave expression upon my face.

            “Okay. Follow me.”

            I was lead into a room for a patient and was wearing a robe-ish clothing, and ready for surgery. I was feeling a little nervous. What if they don’t make it on time? What if I died during the surgery? But before I could ask a different question, my hand already found it’s way to paper and a pen.

            “Dear Memory,” I wrote out. A few minutes went by and the doctor came in when I finished my letter.

            “Ready for the surgery?”

            “Yes, but could you do me a favor?”

            “What is that?”

            “If something goes wrong, and I don’t make it, could you give Memory Ackera this letter?”

            “Of course, but let me just tell you that you have nothing to worry about,” he smiled and took the note out of my hands.