Xander

Xander

            “Are you serious?” The doctor gave me a you-have-got-to-be-crazy look.

            “Do I look like I’m joking?”

            “We couldn’t do that to you.”

            “What else are we going to do? We can’t wait for her birth parents; who knows if they’re alive even.”

            “But your father-”

            “He doesn’t see me as a son,” I interrupted her, and then I turned to the doctor. “Can’t we at least just check, please.” From the way I said that, it sounded not even close to being a question; it sounded more like a demand.

            The doctor gave a small nod, and I ended up following him to a room with a blue leather chair.

            “We’re looking for an O positive.” He said as he stuck a needle through my figure. I winced at first, but then I thought of how ridicules I felt considering how much pain Memory was in.

            After we finished, he told me to go back in the waiting room, and he’d have the results shortly. I joined the two parents in the-from what it looked like-abandon waiting room. The wife was finally asleep with mascara all around her eyes as her husband looked at her with worry.

            “Everything is going to be okay,” I whispered.

            “Hmpf. Nothing about this situation is okay,” he whispered back. “If the test results come back as a match, are you really going to risk your life for our daughter?”

            I didn’t answer. I was scared to answer. I never have done this before.

            I took a deep breath and looked directly into his eyes.

            “Yes.”