Chapter 5

Like always, I was sitting on a bench in the small shed, listening to music as my room mates were having a heated argument I didn't want to get involved in. The shed was located in a rather secluded area where people barely walk through. It leads to the hostels but most people rather took the shortcut.

I checked the time, it was almost 8 pm but I didn't want to return to my room. They wouldn't let me have peace if I go back. I'd rather stay a while and when they're done, Remi would come out looking for me like she always does.

I felt someone sit next to me on the bench but I didn't pay attention. I knew Remi had come and I was surprised that their argument ended so quickly. Whenever they finished their argument, she would come and sit down beside me, observe me or probably poke me and apologize for making me leave my room.

This time, it felt different. Remi didn't move close to poke me, nor did she stare right at my face to frustrate me. I couldn't feel her gaze on me. I wanted to turn around and look at her. Maybe the argument was too heated and she lost it. Maybe she was sad. I wanted to know.

Don't turn around. Something said to me. Then I realized that it was one of Remi's trick to get my attention. I increased the volume of the music I was listening to and scrolled on Instagram.

"I see you've got a lot doing." That voice. I couldn't miss it. No matter how drowned I was in the music I was listening to, I could still hear it.

I sprang up to my feet and removed the earpiece. "Wh-What are you doing here?"

"The same thing you are doing." Damba smiled. "Fresh air."

"Oh, I see. Have fun then." I turned to leave.

"Wait." He held my arm. "I actually knew you'd be here."

"Okay?"

"Can we talk?"

I gave him a tired look.

"Please?"

"Okay." I sat back down.

"Why are you avoiding me?"

"Avoiding you? Why would I do that?"

He shrugged. "Who knows? Probably because you know I like you or because Shade must have said something stupid to you."

"Why would I avoid you because you like me? Don't you like everybody?"

He shook his head. "This is different. You are different from the regular."

"Oh."

"Yes. I've always had girls around me and I pretend to reciprocate their feelings towards me."

"Okay?"

"But who knows if you would reciprocate my feelings towards you." He shrugged.

"F-Feelings?" I was dumbfounded.

"Yes." He sighed. "Tell me something."

"What?"

"Why don't you want me to have your number?"

"No, no, no. That day, I was rushing somewhere."

"And after that? Remember our morning exercise?"

I sighed. "I was embarrassed by what Shade said to me."

"What did she say?"

"A lot of nonsense."

"I'm sorry. I..." He tried to say.

"It is not your fault. Don't worry."

"Okay." He paused. "So can I have your number?"

I nodded and gave it to him.

"Thank you."

I smiled.

"You know, you look more beautiful when you smile." He complimented me.

"Th-Thank you."

"Are you shy?"

"Hmm?"

"I mean, you keep on stuttering."

"I...I'm sorry."

He laughed. "You shouldn't be. I actually like shy girls. The rest of them are straightforward and shameless."

I managed a smile.

"No, don't smile. I'm serious."

"Okay." I sighed. "I...I would like to go back to my hostel if you don't mind."

"Why would I mind?"

"Because you're talking to me."

"So what? If you wish to go to your hostel then I'd respect that."

"Remember I wanted to leave initially and you stopped me?"

"I pleaded with you to stay. I didn't..." He burst into laughter. "I'm sorry."

Then I laughed.

He got up. "Can I walk you?"

"Why?"

"To make sure you're safe."

"So you want to be my bodyguard now?"

"No, I..." He sighed. "Just see this as a kind gesture, nothing else."

"Okay, thank you."

"You don't have to thank me."

I smiled after hearing this. He is a gentleman or so it seems. I don't want to trust him yet or else I'd live to regret it. Most of these people always try to be friends with you and they have ulterior motives.

He walked me to my hostel and I thanked him. He didn't leave until he made sure I'd walked inside.