0.8 | Anything And Everything

08 | Anything And Everything

→ Sometimes you don't realize how many people care

→ Please see how much I love you

━━━

Mason's P.O.V

"CADEW?" MY LITTLE voice fills the room, my missing 'n' making Caden coo as he stops rocking Aiden for a minute to look in my direction.

"Yes, Mase?" 

"Can I have dinn-"

The doorbell chimed a short tune, cutting my question off. Caden held up his pointer finger, indicating to wait a second, before putting Aiden down in his high chair, the one a slight too big for him, and pacing towards the door. Unlocking all the locks, he opened the door narrowly to see an old man swaying, holding the door frame for support.

"Did ya miss me, slut's son?" he slurred, leaning forward. 

'What's a slut,' my mind jumbled in a sea of several thoughts.

Caden protectively crossed his arms over his chest and pushed the door even more so the opening was so tiny it barely existed. Confusion filled my tiny eyes as I squinted, trying to find out who had made my loving big brother so mad. Eli holds his plastic toy cars to his chest tightly, as if he was protecting them from any harm and jumps up, walking over to me to place a comforting hand on my shoulder. 

Aiden struggles to get out of his high chair, finally pushing the colorful buttons that let him jump out. He waddles over near Caden and latches his pinky onto Caden's, his other hand waddling by his side. 

"Well well well, and who do we have here," the man said, squatting down to meet Aiden's level. Losing his balance slightly, he falls hitting the mat, making Aiden giggle. Though not being much older than Aiden, I understood that this was most definitely not a giggling situation. I face palmed at my brother's actions. Caden tensed further, his shoulder blade pushing back as he pushed Aiden behind him. Eli gripped my shoulder a tad harder.

"Get out of here," Caden growled, his voice low and menacing and I whimpered. 

Eli dropped his cars with a 'thump' as they hit the carpet floor and wrapped his arms around my shoulder protectively. 

"What? Who do you think you are, you-" Eli covered my ears, blocking out the loud screams of the man. Ones that I later learned consisted of much swearing. I grabbed his hands trying to peel them off, curious to learn what was going on, but Eli just held on tighter.

Caden slammed the door shut a second later, his scowl deepening. His shoulders shook as he let out a shuddering breath and Aiden wrapped his chubby hands around Caden's leg. 

A minute of dark silence later, Caden faced us again, leaning against the door and Eli finally removed his hands from my ears. 

"Okay so who wants dinner?"

━━━

All through my childhood, I never felt as if I was missing out by not having parents, besides the usual snarky comments. My brothers always protected me and I took the role of protecting Aiden and we all stayed with each other through thick and thin. Despite our usual sibling quarrels, we cared for each other, Caden taking in the role of a father for every one of us.