54. Source of Entertainment: Sweet Dreams

Start from the beginning

My smile loses its light when Edmund kicks it away, "YOU'RE LYING!" He yells again, eyes bulging out in mid-roar as he grabs the next possible object to throw at the glass-the metal bed in the corner.

He breathes raggedly, "Tell me where my girl is or I will rip out every single vertebra of your spinal cord and I will do it with pleasure." He says, low. My eyes widen at his words-I couldn't believe it, the way he said those words.

Claude looks over to him, "There was a metal tube stuck in her neck and four splinters of wood in her spine. She died on impact, Edmund. There was nothing that could be done to save her." He whispers, swallowing. He feels it is the truth as the voice in the room I'm stuck in answers my thoughts.

"It's brilliant how they too believe you to be dead, Melanie." She says, mirthful ness in the female's voice.

I shake with anger, staring into the glass, Claude flinches when Edmund gets closer to the glass, "I know a lie when I hear it. Either bring Melanie to me or prove to me that you have let her go, unharmed with not even a scratch upon her head and I will be merciful in your death." He says, crowding the glass.

Claudius stares at Edmund, eyes masked, but his shaking fingers were placed in his suit-covered trousers, "Her death was quick, Edmund. We are surveying the body now, if you want proof, you will get it, in the meantime, prepare yourself, as you know what will come after this. Cutting off funds to the Matrix will be your last mistake." He says, spitting at Edmund as he turns, leaving the room and leaving his son behind.

Claude slowly walks up to the glass, staring into Edmund's large, huffing frame, "I'm sorry she died like that, Edmund. The matrix, everyone is upset about this. She was family to the matrix. You cut off the capability to afford enough guards to protect the love of your life." He says to him, staring up at Edmund's height.

Edmund breathes heavily, "Your life is tied to hers, she better be untouched and fully alive, or I will pursue every threat, but I'll save you for last, Borne. You have twenty-four hours, find me my lemon, or I'll make you choke on your small intestine and shove it so far down your oesophagus, your stomach won't know what to make of it. All before you die, of course." He threatens, tauntingly. Something flickers in Claude's eyes.

"Your man is a fierce specimen, Melanie." I hear through the speaker.

I squeeze my eyes shut, "What do you want with me?" I ask, confused of even where to ask as I slide down the glass panel between Edmund and me, I stare at him. He wore pitch black shorts, his chest bare for all to see. Drops of blood scorched the white tile beneath his feet. I lean my forehead against the glass.

"You're the smart one, Melanie. Figure it out." She says through the speaker before I hear it flick off.

Claude stares into Edmund's darkened silver eyes, "I saw her body." He whispers.

Edmund slams another resonating bang against the glass, every muscle, and tendon showing as he fists his hands, contracting his biceps. He looked like the bloody terminator, I was shocked at just how big his muscles had gotten in his adrenaline-rush and his anger, "I don't believe you." Edmund seethes in an animalistic hiss.

Claude shakes his head in guilt, "It wasn't supposed to be like that, alright. The ambush was already set in course, you weren't supposed to have been with her, Edmund. I gave you her diagnostics, and know you saw her before she died. You saw her eyes." He whispers to Edmund, sounding as though the player who's taunting the other-their roles have switched, only Edmund doesn't allow that.

He leans forward on the glass, "I know my girl. She survived that crash. Let me see her, or I'll make good on my threats. Twenty-four hours." He points at Claude, who squeezes his fists, turning to strut away, only he halts at the door, staring at Edmund, who sits there with the darkest expression on his face. Nerves flutter in my abdomen.